Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank Spacers, Boot O-Ring Gaskets & Gas Gauge

GS850 GN

If I go to a local bike shop will any old spacer do or will I need to look elsewhere for replacements?

Also, while I am asking, where would be a good place to get a kit for replacing the boot O-Ring gaskets and a guage to set the carbs?

One last thing- How do I hook the gas gauge up to the tank to actually monitor the amount of gas in the tank? Is it even worth it (is it accurate)?

Also, if I have not said it, you guys have been a tremendous help to me. I wish I would have found the forum sooner.

j razz

Originally posted by jrazz View Post
    If I go to a local bike shop will any old spacer do or will I need to look elsewhere for replacements?
    Which spacer? The ones at the front of the tank or the one(s) at the back, that have the mounting bolts through them? Either one is readily available at places like Bike Bandit, Alpha Sports, etc. Not very expensive, either. I just got the rear set, complete with all the rubber pieces, the metal spacer and the bolt for my son's 850 for about $8.

Also, while I am asking, where would be a good place to get a kit for replacing the boot O-Ring gaskets and a guage to set the carbs?
    The boot o-rings and carb o-rings are best bought from a fellow forum member at cycleorings.com. Just make sure you get the rings for the correct carbs series. He also has replacement hardware to hold your intake boots on. The stock bolts are often trashed by the time you get them off, and the replacement stainless allen-head bolts are really nice.

The guage set for the carbs will depend on how much you want to spend. You can get dial guages that are a pain to use for about $50 from Z1 Enterprises. You can get a much better set from them, the SyncPro unit from MotionPro, for about $85. For what many claim to be the best, get the Carbtune from Morgan. It comes from England, but it is available for about $125.

One last thing- How do I hook the gas gauge up to the tank to actually monitor the amount of gas in the tank? Is it even worth it (is it accurate)?
    If your tank has a sending unit in it, there will be two wires coming from it, usually yellow and black. There should be matching wires near the front of the battery. Simply connect the appropriate wires.

Yes, it is definitely worth it. Is it accurate? Maybe. If not, you can make it reasonably accurate. My wife's gauge will read "Full" for over 50 miles, then drop steadily for the next 90-100 miles to the bottom of the red section, where it is necessary to move the petcock to "REServe". The gauge will continue to drop after that, but we have never run it long enough to see just how low it will go.

Last edited by Steve; 07-14-2008, 02:42 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ditto

what could one possibly add to that post...steve?
      GS850GT

Comment

Hi Mr. jrazz,

Yah, Mr. Steve is cool.

It's been a while since I gave you the mega-welcome. All of these questions, and more, can be answered by perusing the knowledge and experience I've collected on my little BikeCliff website. The good folks here (including Mr. Steve and Mr. psyguy) have taught me everything I know, and I've been saving it to share with others. I don't like to type that much.

Well, I guess I don't specifically mention tank rubbers on my website, but you'll find a list of vendors that sell them.

Should I write up a "How to use an online parts fiche" guide?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2008, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          what could one possibly add to that post...steve?
          I could have made all the references links, but that was done at the end of a long day and I figured he needed to do at least some of the work.

Hey, jrazz, all those places I mentioned are links in BikeCliff's website.

There, how's that?

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            I don't like to type that much.
            Oh, yeah? Then how do you explain this?
            sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Oh, yeah? Then how do you explain this?
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will get those things ordered soon. I did do some searching and found a make it yourself carb gauge, but it seemed too ify for me. The local Suzuki place wants to charge 85 bucks to run the test. I can't see paying that when I can buy it myself for around 85 or so and be able to perform the test whenever I need to from them on out.

Thanks again,

j razz

Comment

not to knock bikebandit or any other parts place, but i made rear rubber spacers for my tank out of automotive hose. fit perfectly, cost about 5 cents in hose :P

Comment

Working...
                  X