Extra Parts from Carb Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra Parts from Carb Cleaning

First time rebuilding VM carbs. Its been 3 wks since disassembling the carbs, dipping, o-ring replacement, and re-assembling. I've been waiting on top and bowl gaskets, intake boot and o-rings. Still haven't received intake boots and o-rings. Put everything back together but came up with three extra parts, damn it. Two springs, and one fine thread square head flat-bladed screw. I searched the micro fiche and original suzuki manual and can not figure out where these parts came from. I triple checked all listings for springs and everything seems to be accounted for (air/fuel springs, idle screw springs, springs used in the throttle slide mechanisms, choke shaft springs).
    The springs are bigger than ones used for air/fuel jets, throttle slide???.

There does not seem to be any springs for the air cleaner.

Any ideas???
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

check your screws and stuff outside the carbs....

maybe the spring for the throttle stop or idle adjustment???

Comment

A picture might help us to identify the bits for you. Are you sure they are bits off the carbs, not bits off something else that got mixed up with your carbs on disassembly. It has happened before.

Comment

is it possibly a spring that goes under the needles.. if your carbs have those?

Comment

Are they SMALL springs? Like maybe the ones that go under the mixture screws? Ray.

Comment

They are bigger than mix mixture screws. Each one of the springs are about the same length ,1/4inch, but are different in diameter. The thickness of the spring is probably twice the size of the mixture screws. I looked through the micro fiche for the carbs and accounted for all of those and the air cleaner does not use any. I removed the float bowl of one carb and there is no way they go in either the air/fuel mixture screws. I am going through the carbs again today to see again. The throttle and choke seems to be working well.
            Did a bench sync and the slides are aligned up as good as i'm going to get it. Had my brother look at it who is an experienced HD mechanic.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

Comment

Tas there are four spring on the VMs that are extenal to the carbs. There is one that goes on the throttle stop screw (the thumbscrew that you adjust the idle with). There is a return spring with a hook on either end of the spring to return the carbs to idle when you release the twist grip. These two are obvious.

The other two are not so obvious. They are both on the cylinder head side of the carb rack. One is trapped (for want of a better word) between the throttle stop screw bracket (this spring does not have a screw passing through it) and the rack. The other spring is very close by and does have a screw passing through it.

I am including a diagram and hope you can see what I mean. Very difficult to explain.

Comment

Don,

You're right on! I was looking it over this morning and noticed the "throttle guide bracket" had a hole where you insert the bigger spring - atleast that's were i put the bigger of the two remaining springs i had. The second smaller spring and the fine threaded screw went on the throttle stop screw bracket.

The micro fiche and suzuki manual did not have this listed as a part or atleast the 850 times i looked at them.

Dumb questions, why is there a stop screw to prevent the throttle from opening up too much?

Thanks for the help!
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                  Don,

You're right on! I was looking it over this morning and noticed the "throttle guide bracket" had a hole where you insert the bigger spring - atleast that's were i put the bigger of the two remaining springs i had. The second smaller spring and the fine threaded screw went on the throttle stop screw bracket.

The micro fiche and suzuki manual did not have this listed as a part or atleast the 850 times i looked at them.

Dumb questions, why is there a stop screw to prevent the throttle from opening up too much?

Thanks for the help!
                  Those parts are not on the fiche because you cannot buy them separately. They do not have a part number. So don't lose them.

The stop screw I would suggest is to stop any damage to the rocker arm linkage mechanism in the top of the VM carbs. This mechanism will only move so far before it runs out of movement (there is an adjustment screw on top that could hit the top of the carb).

My comments only. The Gurus may be along later the give the proper information.

Comment

Working...
                  X