strange days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange days

HELLO GS RESOURSES. Its been a while since i submitted anything here.With all the knowlege here,i bow to you once more for your ultimate wisdom. I have owned this 1977 gs750b.for about 1 year. At the time i had discovered that the stator was bad.[extremely weak spark and missfiring.So I replaced it.I also rewired the rectifier/seperate regulator,per modification from the RESOURSES,a new set of points,and a new battery.dyna green coils and new dyna wires. Life was good. Riding this bike was worth all the hassle.I put on nearly 1200 miles on this bike until trouble reared it ugly head once more for the 750. The bike had ran great till i flipped the high beam switch a couple of times as i work nights and decide reluctently to use them.I tend to stay away from robbing this bike of any extra juice.[just gun shy i guess].it ran good to my house only 10 minutes from work. The next day my battery was dead and would only click.So i recharged the battery drove the bike a few miles to store it for a day it ran well.I came back the next day to pick up my bike .It started easy.but seemed to have a bad bog when the throttle was turned within the 1/4 range and now all the plugs are sooty.At higher rpms it seems to be better but performance sufferes greatly.Has anyone ever had any issuses like the ones i am having. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRIECIATED. THANKS GS RESOURCES.

Well, I would tend to think with the miles that you've put on it, plus what ever it had on it before, its likely overdue for a valve adjustment. My GUESS as to what is happening would be that one or more of the intake valves are not closing, and its sucking in quite a bit more fuel than it can burn, making it rich. Thus your plugs are sooting up. The valve adjustment is relatively easy, especially so if you have any mechanical experience at all, which you seem to. You'll need a set of feeler gauges that go to as low as .03mm, but these seem to be hard to find. You WILL find a set generally at autozone that will go to as low as .04mm, and if your valves are tighter than that, i suggest dropping a shim size, as, AT WORST, you be at .09mm which is just SLIGHTLY OVER spec (spec calls for .03 to .08mm clearance between the cam lobe and the bucket shim) and being slightly over is ok. There is a great tutorial on BassCliffs website.

Comment

First haveing a dead battery, you need to go back and check the charging system again !!! Low battery voltage can cause poor spark fouled plugs

Comment

did you replace the reg rec or just run the new ground? also, i agree with tck, if you havent done a valve check/adjust, you should!
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
        X