82 gs1100 need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs1100 need advise

Yesterday I took a 12 hour return trip to see an 82 GS1100. The bike has 10000 miles looks extremely clean and generally runs extremely well. You may say, then what is the problem?
    First, the petcock had to be kept on prime, in reserve and normal the carbs would run out of gas. While on prime it ran and accelerated beautifully. Would it just need a clean or replaced.
    Secondly, when you would stop the rev's would stay at 2000 for about 3 seconds then drop to 1000????
    Third, during warm up there was a lot of banging, backfire from the left side muffler, when warm and going through the gears every time you let off the throttle it would backfire ever so slightly, did not seem to hinder performance, what would cause this????????
    Finally, when you step back and look at the mufflers, all stock, they looked as though there was 3 evenly spaced rings around the muffler similiar to welded joints, and there was a rattle in the right side muffler.
    They want $2600 after bargaining, I am just wondering if there should be any real concerns.
    Your advise is greatly appreciated.
    Piston720

Originally posted by Piston720 View Post
    Yesterday I took a 12 hour return trip to see an 82 GS1100. The bike has 10000 miles looks extremely clean and generally runs extremely well. You may say, then what is the problem?
    First, the petcock had to be kept on prime, in reserve and normal the carbs would run out of gas. While on prime it ran and accelerated beautifully. Would it just need a clean or replaced.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.
    Piston720
    There is a K&L rebuild kit for that petcock for about $25. It's a gamble. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. Since yours isn't leaking, it'll probably work. Contact the guys at Z1 Enterprises
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

" Secondly, when you would stop the rev's would stay at 2000 for about 3 seconds then drop to 1000????"

Too lean idle mixture or sticking throttle cable is where I would start.

"Third, during warm up there was a lot of banging, backfire from the left side muffler, when warm and going through the gears every time you let off the throttle it would backfire ever so slightly, did not seem to hinder performance, what would cause this????????"

Again, too lean fuel mixture. It's typical that the carbs will need a thorough cleaning and then balancing. When the carbs are off, you'll want to remove the manifolds that hold them to the head. If there are any noticeable cracks, they're probably shot. There's also an O-ring on the inner side of each one where it mounts to the engine. They're tough to get off most times. Use an impact driver. They're about $25 each.

"Finally, when you step back and look at the mufflers, all stock, they looked as though there was 3 evenly spaced rings around the muffler similiar to welded joints, and there was a rattle in the right side muffler."

Hmmm, hard to say without looking at it but I'm guessing the baffle in the right side is loose. Not sure on that account. Pics would help.

" They want $2600 after bargaining, I am just wondering if there should be any real concerns."

HOLY OVER-PRICED BATMAN !!! $2600 ???? I wouldn't pay that unless it was spotless and in PERFECT condition. You're in for quite a bit of work. A more reasonable price would be $1200 considering what you've told us so far.

$2600 ???? They're smoking crack, IMHO.

Good luck. HTH

Don

Comment

Thanks Don
      At this point I am very glad that I did not leave a down payment
      I would assume about $300 to tune and synch and another $300 plus to remove and clean carbs. Does this sound close?
      PIston720

Comment

What model 1100? shaft or chain drive? They used different engines so the details matter.

Sounds like you need a new petcock ($60) and maybe a good carb clean out with new O-rings. Not sure how much a shop would charge since I don't trust most shops to work on my bike. Mufflers sound like they are failing internally - not cheap to replace.

Hard to say what the bike is worth but I agree with Don in that $2600 would require the bike to be perfect.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Bike shopping

Hi Mr. Piston720,

In addition to the good advice from Mr. don_gibbs6512 and Mr. Nessism, try to find out a more complete mechanical history. When was the last time the valves were checked? Brake pads replaced? (With 10K miles, I'll bet neither one.) Are the original rubber brake lines still on the bike? These should be replaced. How worn are the tires? Have you checked the charging system? Is the airbox sealed? Does it need new intake boots and O-rings? Will it need the carbs cleaned? Has the bike always been stored (winterized) properly? An initial list of maintenance tasks is here in the mega-welcome.

I'll agree that the asking price seems a little high, but the issues you describe don't sound major. Still, for that price you would expect a bike that runs flawlessly, needs nothing, and is in very good cosmetic condition. If there is not a lot of interest in his bike, the seller may negotiate further if you tell him about the cost of the parts and labor the bike still needs. Be prepared to walk away and keep looking. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I would assume about $300 to tune and synch and another $300 plus to remove and clean carbs. Does this sound close?
            I would think that the sync should be part of the "remove and clean the carbs" process, too, so you should only have to pay for that once. Prices are probably not too far off, but you can save yourself about $400 in that process. Get some tools and gaskets that will total about $200 and do the job yourself. That way you will know how the job was done, and you will already have the tools to do it next time.

Oh, by the way, good luck on finding a shop that will work on it. Many, many shops have imposed a 10- or 15-year rule. Anything older than that, they don't even want it casting a shadow in the doorway. Besides, your bike is most likely older than most of the technicians (mechanics?) working(?) there.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

2600 bucks eh? There isnt a GS in the world that i would pay that much for, MintyFresh or not. And if its not running PERFECTLY, the person/people selling it have no idea of what the bike market is like, and probably pulled some arbitrary number out of their ass. Either that, or thats how much THEY have in it, and are trying to get that out of it. Not going to happen. I would walk away from this one man. As said, you have another 4-500 bucks worth of work to do, and more if you factor in the cost of your time. If you keep looking, you can find an 1100 for 12-1500 in really good shape. I would even pay in the 2000 range for an 1100ED/ES in REALLY CLEAN shape i think, but anything over that is kinda rediculous.

Comment

how about this one?

I am not sure where you are located, but if you are close to this one it may be worth another 12 hour trip?

Comment

I'd agree that no matter WHAT the bike looks like, or how many miles it has, I advise my friends to plan on putting at least $400 into it within the first couple of months, and to factor that into what they are wiling to pay for it.

Comment

Thankyou ALL.
                    The bike is an 82 GS1100G,located in Cleveland, I am located in Ontario, Canada.
                    From my discussions with the owner I get the feeling that he buys and does a quick turnaround with little or no rework on his behalf, I got the impression that I knew more about the bike than he did, BUT it was the best, by far, of 4 bikes that I have tried so far.
                    It apparently, and from the title, was owned in Michigan and was not used for 17 years.
                    This fella bought it and hasn't changed the title yet from what I saw.
                    I even offered $2500 as is and they refused.
                    I did walk away, and will see if they call or not.
                    I am a 79 GS850GN owner who is looking for a little more power after 28 years with my present bike.
                    Would any of you like to sell your GS1100G for $2000+???

Piston720

Comment

If I was trying to sell my 1000G that's about what I'd ask for it ($2000) that's with $3000 put into it in parts in the last 6 months.

Comment

The 1100Gs are great bikes. I have one myself and i absolutely love it. The 850s are great bikes too though! And while having that extra bit of power is really nice, for most riding I would think the 850 to be a pretty adequate bike. My suggestion is to hang on to your, and wait for an 1100G to pop up in your area for less money my friend. It will happen, and you'll be alot happier about it when you find a better deal. I DID get a good deal on mine, i paid 1200 for it, but NADA book value is just 2K in PERFECT condition, 1600 in good condition. Wait it out man, dont spend more than its worth.

Comment

Would any of you like to sell your GS1100G for $2000+???

Piston720
                          You may actually get some feedback for that kind of offer. For the record, I got my 82 GS1100E with 22,000 miles and new tires, new battery, V&H 4-into-1, Accel ignition, and $200 worth of new parts (clutch springs, heavy duty plates, and All Balls wheel bearings)...all for $1200. I negotiated him down from $1400 as there was a slight problem with shifting at the time I rode it (and acted like I was going to have to have it fixed), but he took the $1200 faster than I could pull it out of my pocket.

Even though it ran, I still went through the carbs, pulled the valve cover and checked the rocker arms, new plugs and plug wires, pulled the headers and exhaust for a repaint, and changed the clutch springs and plates (as there was clatter). I've added new handgrips, bar ends, mirrors, signals, gauges, and a fly screen and still only have about $1500 total in my bike.

Deals are out there, dude. You just have to find them. I found mine on Craigslist and just an hour away. Here's a larger version of my signature pic for reference.

Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM.

Comment

My heels are getting cold and the excitement is deminishing after I hear what everyone seems to find bikes for.
                            At the same time I am feeling somewhat relieved that I didn't part with all that hard earned cash.
                            I will keep looking and hoping for a GEM of a bike.
                            Piston720

Comment

Have anyone dealt with or familiar with the bikes sold by JM Wilson at Akron Works. He upgrades bikes and sells on ebay every few months.

Comment

Working...
                              X