Gas in crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in crankcase

What the best way to clean the crankcase after gas has been in it ? What else should be done after this has happened. I know it can cause some serious damage. I'm almost certain it hasn't been started after this mishap. I was told it happened by the po, after which, he got fed up with the bike and sold it to me. He took off the crankcase cover and drain the oil and replaced the cover with some sort of gasket junk. I don't see any oil in the level window. I'm wanting to get this cleaned and gasketed correctly.
    Thanks to all.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

All the major online parts houses probably have the gasket. Make sure it's completely drained, refill with oil, if you're worried about it, run that oil for a few miles (50.. 100...) then drain and change again.

Comment

Thanks Doctor !!! Thought it would be worse than that.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Larry, in one of my old threads I mentioned when I drained my oil and found a couple quarts of gas in my crankcase. I had a broken petcock which let it pour in thru the vacuum port, I guess. Anyway, I replaced the petcock, changed the oil and filter and have put about 1k miles on it now. Seems to drive okay, but I'm not near the meticulous, well informed, very experienced individual that some of the forumites here are. There are those on here that know enough to have a PhD in SOO-ZOO-KEE!!!!

Comment

Drain, refill with cheapo oil, then drain again and refill after 50 miles or so. Don't worry so much about it -- it'll be fine.

And if he used that silicone gasket maker crap, makes sure that all gets cleaned up -- it doesn't belong anywhere near your GS.

Glad the bike has found a good home!
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks everyone.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Don't forget the filter. At the very least you should dump the old oil/gas out of the filter before refilling the engine with the flush oil. Replace the filter properly when you put the good oil in.

Good luck.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would never change the oil without changing the filter. My Grandpa taught me that one.
                I signed up on Photobucket this morning and posted a test pic in the dicussion forum. Will you guys take a look at my fuel gauge float and tell me what you think, it's a little rusty. That is if it copied correctly.
                Thanks
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

And if ya really want to make sure it's clean put some Seafoam in the crankcase and run it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
                    And if ya really want to make sure it's clean put some Seafoam in the crankcase and run it a bit.
                    with the oil! so there isn't any confusion there :P

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but the same seafoam that I've read people put in the gas tank ? I should change the oil and filter and put some of this in the crankcase before I gasket it back closed ? Then run for awhile and change the oil and filter again.....Sound good ?
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                        Excuse my ignorance, but the same seafoam that I've read people put in the gas tank ? I should change the oil and filter and put some of this in the crankcase before I gasket it back closed ? Then run for awhile and change the oil and filter again.....Sound good ?
                        Drain the crankcase, put the gasket and cover on, run some cheap oil for 100 miles, then drain and re-fill with a new filter. That's what I'd do.

Comment

Gotcha.
                          I guess I'm making this more difficult than it is.
                          Thanks to All
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hey, I just noticed you're in Indy!

PM if you want me to come take a look.

Also, what kind o' bike ya got?
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yup, the same Seafoam. I have some in my truck right now.

Read the destructions...I mean INstructions on the can.

Comment

Working...
                              X