Starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issue

I'm almost done working out all the bugs with my 85 Suzuki Gs 700. The last issue was lack of venting in the tank because I had sealed up 2 holes inside when I treated the tank. Anyway, the bike runs pretty nice after it warms up but starting it is weird. I have to turn the idle screw several times clockwise to get it to idle. It idles rough for a bit and slowly the idle picks up. As it does I turn the screw counter clockwise a bit to bring it back down. After 2 minutes of this the bike seems ready to go. If I started it without this process it would start fine but instantly die. It also does not like choke. Anyone have a clue as to what may be going on? I was thinking that maybe the vacuum hose going from the tank to the carb maybe a bit too long. Would that effect it? In otherwords I'm clueless at this point.

HAve you soaked and rebuilt the carbs? Checked for vacuum leaks; air filter in place and oiled; adjusted the valves; replaced o-rings where needed; synched the carbs? All needs to be done to get things to run right.

Comment

somethings wrong in the carbs enrichment circuit
      and/or the pilot mixture screws are set incorrectly
      and/or you have bad air leaks in the intake system
      and/or maybe you have no air-filter
      GS850GT

Comment

Cleaned the carbs and has them synched. That was before I figured out the venting problem though so maybe I should synch again. There is an air filter but for ha haas I will replace. I've never checked the valves so I need to get on that. Is that a lengthy task?

Comment

Go to Basscliff's website, it will walk you through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ickaruz View Post
            Cleaned the carbs and has them synched. That was before I figured out the venting problem though so maybe I should synch again. There is an air filter but for ha haas I will replace. I've never checked the valves so I need to get on that. Is that a lengthy task?
            Hi Mr. lckaruz,

Always adjust valves first, then sync carbs. The first time I did a valve check/adjust, it took me over 4 hours. Now I can do it in less than 2. I think the 16-valve motors can go even quicker because you don't have to swap shims.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks again all for the advice. I will prceed with the valve adjustment and re synch. My bike test is coming up so I will hold off till after because...well its me. I should be known as Mr Nothing Seems To Go As Planned but that is a bit wordy. I'd be lost without you guys, thanks again!

Comment

while tight valves do contribute to the cold start difficulties, your problem sounds past just the valve adjustment
                keep us posted
                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                X