Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7k miles GS650g - Valve clearance adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys very much for your time and responses.

tino

Comment

Originally posted by gadang View Post
      Hope you don't mind me asking on this thread but is it normal/possible that a valve adjustment can go "out" after only about 800 miles? Also could bad intake o-rings cause vibrations?

Thanks for your help!
      Hi Mr. gadang,

In addition to maladjusted valves, unsynchronized carburetors can also cause vibration. If it was done correctly, I would be surprised that valve clearances could get so bad so soon. Hopefully you're using a Real Gasket.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Man, somebody needs to make a video of a shim valve check.

I just did mine a couple of weeks ago, though...

Who's:

1) next

2) knows what they're doing

3) has a reasonably sober pal and a video camera

4) can post a vid on teh interweb tubes
        I'll be due for a 3k mile check when i return from Red River Gorge on Monday. Crazy, it seems like i just did one a month ago or less. Oh wait. I did! heh. Steve is pretty darn good with that camera of his, if anyone has seen his valve instalation vid ( i do believe its on BassCliff's site) So perhaps I will have to get that done for everyone. I KNOW that i have at least ONE shim that will be tight, as i didnt have the exact shim to replace the last time i was in there, and used an X shim to get it close. It WILL need a new one this time around, im sure.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi Mr. gadang,

In addition to maladjusted valves, unsynchronized carburetors can also cause vibration. If it was done correctly, I would be surprised that valve clearances could get so bad so soon. Hopefully you're using a Real Gasket.

BassCliff
          BassCliff
          I had the valves adjusted at a shop along with a carb sync so I hope it would have been done correctly. I know that it seems different after I took it on a little 70 mile trip at 65 mph. I would be at that speed and roll on the throttle and I thought I could hear a little sputter but it wouldn't slow down it would just sound like it was sucking air or something or maybe it was the wind.

I did get an O-Ring set from mr barr and thought maybe I could replace the intake rings for now until I can do a rebuild this winter.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by gadang View Post
            I had the valves adjusted at a shop along with a carb sync so I hope it would have been done correctly.
            Hi Mr. gadang,

Perhaps you may be experiencing why we all encourage each other to do our own work. It's very difficult to find a "professional" mechanic who loves these classic bikes and really knows how to work on them. I'm sure we can get your valves adjusted properly over the winter if you like. But if any are too tight, especially an exhaust valve, riding it like that could result in a burned valve.

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff,
              I do believe the shop that I found does enjoy working on the oldies. That is the majority of their business. But I do understand what you are saying. Since they put a new gasket on when I got this done I probably won't be so hesitant to take the valve cover off now. I do enjoy working on my own stuff and will continue to do more of it.

One thing i did notice after the adjustment was that the valve train seemed a lot noisier. I did also hear that a quiet GS is a mis-adjusted GS. Is that true?

The mechanic said the valves were too tight and that is why it was a pain to start before. The bike starts without the choke with just a little twist of the throttle while cranking and it will pretty much idle right away. Putting the Intake O-Rings in I am sure will help.I will just keep an eye/ear on it to see what happens. Thanks Cliff.

By the way...I am also a bass player!
              Thanks!!

Comment

Biker Bassists

Hi Mr. gadang,

You are fortunate to have found a shop that enjoys working on these "oldies". I have heard many horror stories of bike shops messing up badly.

Yes, these 8-valve Suzuki motors are a bit noisy. "A slappy valve is a happy valve" is one phrase I've often heard. Your mechanic is right, tight valves make for hard starts, especially when cold.

Properly adjusted valves are necessary for all of the carburetor adjustments to work properly. Make sure there are no intake leaks (with the O-rings, carb boots, airbox, etc), synchronize the carbs, and you will run a lot smoother.

Bass player too? Here's my "vanity" page:

And here's my band:
                Cliff Saunders (runningkind)'s profile on Myspace, the place where people come to connect, discover, and share.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi Mr. gadang,

Yes, these 8-valve Suzuki motors are a bit noisy. "A slappy valve is a happy valve" is one phrase I've often heard.

BassCliff
                  Good to know Cliff! Thanks for your help. I will get going on the intake boots and rings along with the airbox.

Thanks!

Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X