Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting valves

Hi all,

After looking through the search feature and not finding an answer, I felt I needed to post.

I am in the process of adjusting my valves. The smallest feeler gauge I could find was .038mm. I have 5 valves that I could not slide this feeler in between that and the cam. I am doing this with the lobe pointing up according to my Clymer manual. Should these shims be changed to the next size down? Also, if needed does the dealer usually keep shims with an X on hand? And finally One of the 2 good clearances was .04, Is that enough or should I look at changing that one as well?

This bike is an 81 GS850G.

Thanks,
    Scott

I just had this problem,

What I ended up doing is buying a 2.30 shim and then measured the gap again to find what the final dimension is that I need. You want between a .04 to .08 shim (conveniently enough, accommodates .05 between shim sizes). Hope this helps out.

Comment

I had the same issue. The thinest gauge I have is a .038mm. And the clearances were closer than that. When I asked about it I was told that as long as the valve still moves (circles) when the lobes are off the valves then everything is still probably ok. I was also told to check the clearance with both lobes off the valves as detailed below
      (look at thread titled Position of lobe on valve clearance check)

Nessism has it absolutely right, but let me see if I can add just a little more light, as this seems to confuse the 'new' guys.
      When you set #1 exhaust lobe forward, check E1 and E2 without moving the cam.
      When you set #4 exhaust lobe forward, check E3 and E4 without moving the cam.
      Same thing with the intake valves.

You are correct in your assumption that the lowest point on the cam is directly across from the lobe, but with our cams, that low point also extends more than 45 degrees to either side of that point. When the exhaust lobe for #1 is pointing forward, the lobe for #2 is pointing UP, and now both of them are not pushing on a valve. This removes any pushing loads from this half of the cam, assuring a known position in the cam bearing for reference.

Comment

Keep in mind also, that if a .04mm will not fit, changing the shim to the next size smaller only takes your clearance to roughly <.09mm. THIS is fine. As a matter of fact, if ANY of my clearances ARE .04mm, and i have the next size smaller shim, i replace it. Slightly loose is ok. I would even possibly change it if .05 was slightly tight, making my clearance <.10mm

Comment

Originally posted by d_hoffman View Post
          When you set #1 exhaust lobe forward, check E1 and E2 without moving the cam.
          When you set #4 exhaust lobe forward, check E3 and E4 without moving the cam.
          Same thing with the intake valves.
          Hi Mr. scottsgs,

The Suzuki Shop Manual says to position #1 intake lobe pointing UP, then check I1 and I2. Position intake#4 pointing UP, then check I3 and I4. Read all about it on my little BassCliff website. There is a Valve Adjustments guide in PDF format. You'll find some extra support documentation here in this thread. You'll also find a manual or two on my site.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X