Gas Tank Rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank Rust?

8) I have ben working on refinishing my gas tank, with cleaning and freezing water in it to get dents out, I have gotten a layer of rust inside. How do I get it out 8O

How bad is the rust mate? If it's only surface rust then I wouldn't acid-wash it, as you might do more damage than good. A handful of 10mm nuts or 6mm screws shaken around inside should loosen up any rust, then just flush the dust out. My cousin always did this to trail bikes in his shop, then he'd put a little two stroke oil in the tank then just fill it with regular gas and it wouldn't rust again.

Did the freezing to get the dents out work? I've tried compressed air, but after nearly fragging myself doing that, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone................

Comment

gas tank rust

I used a product from Krud Kutter called" a must for rust" I bought it from Home Depot. $7.00 for 32 ounces. It works great.

Comment

Terry,

8) I have done it twice, it does work. I put in about 3/4 of a tank, and it took them almost completely out. The only problem is you need a serious freezer or a lot of time. I had to leave it in the last time almost a day and a half, and that was in a stand up freezer. Just watch out when it starts hardening up. 8O

Comment

Sounds like a good way to split the seams.

I tried the freezer once and didn't have the time to wait for it to freeze. I have heard about guys doing it and developing leaks after.

Comment

www.por15.com has a tank restorer and sealer kit I used it with my tank works like a charm

Comment

Working...
            X