Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment 16v

81 GS750L.
    Going to do a valve adjustment while the bike going through it's rebirth.
    I have some questions from Mr Basic's excellent tutorial.
    I've looked extensively in the forums for these answers but no luck.

1) Does the tachometer gear o-ring need to be viton, like the carb o-rings ?
    2) He refers to cylinder #1-#2 etc... are they numbered they same as the carbs ? Left knee to right knee sitting on the bike ?
    3) Is there a better pic of the 9mm lock bolt and where to measure with feeler gauge ?
    4) What the heck are half moons and their purpose ?

Larry D
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

1/? probably
    2/Left to right as sitting on the bike.
    3/ Not that I am aware of. I will source one for you.
    4/ The fit into the cylinder head at the end of the cams and allow you to see the cut outs in the cams. They hold the oil back.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Hi Mr. Larry D,

Referring to: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...adjustment.pdf :

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      81 GS750L.
      Going to do a valve adjustment while the bike going through it's rebirth.
      I have some questions from Mr Basic's excellent tutorial.
      I've looked extensively in the forums for these answers but no luck.

I would suspect, yes, since there is a bit of heat to deal with. I always order OEM.

2) He refers to cylinder #1-#2 etc... are they numbered they same as the carbs ? Left knee to right knee sitting on the bike ?
      Yes. #1 cylinder is at your left knee when you sit on the bike.

3) Is there a better pic of the 9mm lock bolt and where to measure with feeler gauge ?
      The picture on page 7 shows quite clearly where to put your feeler gauge. Measure both valves. Don't worry, it will become very obvious once you get in there. There should be a manual on my site that will be helpful to you (16-valve 750).

Here is a picture of half moons( those black hard rubber things shaped like "half moons"):

Here a picture of the half moons removed:

The "half moons" form the oil seal on the outside ends of the top of the head. They are also available in aluminum and are somewhat more permanent. And to be honest with you, I don't know why the top of the head is shaped that way. I can only speculate that it is necessary for some manufacture or assembly aspect. I'm sure one of the really smart guys knows the real reason.

Let us know how your valve check goes. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Probably. Anything that needs to withstand heat and oil/gas products would be better with Viton.

Yes and yes. I can't imagine why they would change the numbering. People are confused enough when it's the same.

The locknut is on the rocker, directly over the valve. You use the feeler gauge directly over the valve, too.

The half moons are rubber plugs. Their purpose is to hold back oil, but why are they there in the first place? The bearings for the cams are line-bored to assure that they are all in perfect alignment. The only way to do that is to continue out the side of the head, then fill in that gap with a half moon. As Suzuki mad mentioned, it is also useful for viewing the notches on the right ends of the cams, but I try not to take out the half moons just to view the notches. If they are not leaking, do not disturb them. If they are leaking, get new ones.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks to all !!!

Larry D
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
          X