Bike cutting out, help !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike cutting out, help !

On the way to work this morning my 79 GS750 was running well until, sods law, I was on a country road in the middle of nowhere. One minute I was cruising along at 60mph, the next the engine cut out. There was no warning, no rough running or anything like that. Coasted to a stop, and the instrument panel was dead, no ignition light, no indicators. Turned off the key, then turned it on again and the lights came on. The bike started up again, so I set off again. About five minutes later the same thing. Again though after stopping, with dead instuments, it started up again and I made it to work. On the way home tonight I took it easy, expecting it to happen again, but got home no problem.

Any ideas ?. I did wonder whether it could be a loose or frayed wire on the loom, had something similar with a CX500 a few years ago where the loom was worn by the headstock stops, but it looks ok on the GS. I guess its got to be electrical with everything cutting, but what puzzles me is why after turning the ignition off, why everything comes back on again !. Man, I hate electrics !. Any advice much appreciated.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Originally posted by tomo View Post
    On the way to work this morning my 79 GS750 was running well until, sods law, I was on a country road in the middle of nowhere. One minute I was cruising along at 60mph, the next the engine cut out. There was no warning, no rough running or anything like that. Coasted to a stop, and the instrument panel was dead, no ignition light, no indicators. Turned off the key, then turned it on again and the lights came on. The bike started up again, so I set off again. About five minutes later the same thing. Again though after stopping, with dead instuments, it started up again and I made it to work. On the way home tonight I took it easy, expecting it to happen again, but got home no problem.

Any ideas ?. I did wonder whether it could be a loose or frayed wire on the loom, had something similar with a CX500 a few years ago where the loom was worn by the headstock stops, but it looks ok on the GS. I guess its got to be electrical with everything cutting, but what puzzles me is why after turning the ignition off, why everything comes back on again !. Man, I hate electrics !. Any advice much appreciated.
    Sounds like it could possibly be your main power fuse/wire/socket in the fuse block. I would whip out your trusty multimeter and start checking for bad connections around that area. Just my advice

Comment

Sounds like a dirty/corroded ignition switch.

Comment

i had a kill switch with a weakening rocker one that did something like that to me. the cb750k i was riding had just enough vibration at some speeds to trip it. confused us for a good week!

Comment

Ignition switch or main fuse as you also lost the dash lights...get to cleaning and test. Could also be a battery cable, clean them as well and the main ground.

Comment

Thanks guys. Think I`ve traced it to a dodgy connection at the ignition switch.
            "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
            1978 GS750
            1979 GS750 chop
            1979 GS550
            2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
            2000 Enfield Bullet 500
            1992 XV750 Virago
            2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
            X