Kickstand mounting bolt gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstand mounting bolt gone

Hey guys! So i just got back from the western states rally! Loved every minute of it. Anyway, about half way through the trip I lost a kickstand mounting bolt. The problem is that when the bolt went, the threads went with it. My understanding of this model's frame is that the kickstand has two bolts that go through it and into the frame, where on the inside of a closed space is a nut that's welded to the otherside of the metal. The nut on the otherside has come lose and since it's closed space there's nothing to hold it while the threads are started.

Long story short, we had a few ideas to fix it long term. One of those is to just have the kickstand mounting plate onto the frame. Another is to try and do some kind of a threaded insert, though the insert will only have a couple mm (thickness of frame metal) to grab on. The last I had was to jb weld a stud in there and use a nut on the bottom side, though again there would only be a few mm of frame for it to "jb weld" on to.

Does anyone else have any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? I have a neighbor who's an architectural welder, so if that's the best option then I'd like to go to him with ideas of how to best weld it on (I've never welded before)

Thanks guys. Replying on the center stand only for 3 days sucked

A similar thing happened to mine, but I was fortunate to be home, in the garage, leaning on the bike talking when it went. My brother has a little MIG, so I had him weld it right to the frame the next time I was up there.

Relying on the center stand does indeed suck. I hope you knew the proper/easy way to use it.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It's a stupid design. Best bet I reckon is to weld the thing on though you might get lucky and be able to hold the nut with a screwdriver (pushed in to the slight gap on the frame mounting) until it starts to bite and hold on it's own. I got lucky on mine.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ours seems to be stipped out, so I will be watching this thread for suggestions.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah I could do the center stand off the bike. On the bike I had to have someone give me a hand while I rocked it back. I got it a few times on my own, but with the amount of luggage the thing was heavy as hell.

It IS a stupid design. I'll try the screwdriver though the little gap... If not I'll have my buddy weld it. Can you weld onto powdercoat??

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
            Can you weld onto powdercoat??
            No. You'll have to sand / file / grind / paintstrip (be v.careful) it off to bare metal.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I stopped by the local Ace to get a u pipe for under my sink, thought I'd look around. I came out with a metal thread insert JUST barely bigger than the hole there now. I'm going to attempt to very gently bore it out to screw the insert in. I was thinking that I'd dab some JB weld on the outside of the threads hoping that it creates a firmer (permanent) grasp and locks it into place enough to torque the new bolt into that. I'll probably put a dab of loctite on both bolts this time, so there's very little chance of this happening again.

Comment

Scratch that idea... I didn't think this one through... without tapping the steel, the threads have nothing to dig in to. I instead stuck a magnet into the hole and located the nut that was floating around. Then I mixed some jb weld and stuck it up there, then positioned the nut over the jb weld by maneuvering it slightly with a screwdriver (stuck up into the hole). Hopefully enough of it ended up between the nut and the steel to give it a temporary grip. If successful, tomorrow i will carefully apply some more around the edges but not in the threads. If this doesnt work, I weld the sucker =]

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
                  Scratch that idea... I didn't think this one through... without tapping the steel, the threads have nothing to dig in to. I instead stuck a magnet into the hole and located the nut that was floating around. Then I mixed some jb weld and stuck it up there, then positioned the nut over the jb weld by maneuvering it slightly with a screwdriver (stuck up into the hole). Hopefully enough of it ended up between the nut and the steel to give it a temporary grip. If successful, tomorrow i will carefully apply some more around the edges but not in the threads. If this doesnt work, I weld the sucker =]
                  Good luck with that!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah didn't hold. Looks like I'll be welding!

Comment

Don't feel bad....once I went on a long ride, and at the 2nd fuel-stop, after repeatedly kicking down @ nothing, realized that the side stand had fallen off. Problem was, I don't have a center-stand on account of my exhaust system. Oooooops!

Comment

Working...
                      X