Bike still refuses to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike still refuses to start

So I've had my 82 GS550MZ for over a month now fixing one thing or another (I'm really starting to despise shipping times) trying to get this bike into good working condition. I've rebuilt the petcock and carberators (as per instructions found on this site) but I still can't seem to get fuel into the cylinder, yes there is fuel in the float bowls. Wondering if something needs to be adjusted in the carbs or if there's something else I may have missed. Any help greatly appreciated as I would love to get a chance to start riding before the snow starts falling.

How do you know fuel isn't getting to the engine?
    Is there spark? have you verified it?

Comment

I've verified that there is spark but the spark plugs are bone dry. That's how I came to that conclusion
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2008, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Have you adjusted the valves? I know its harped on constantly, but for good reason. You cant begin to tune your carbs correctly if the valves are out of adjustment. If you've done this, where are you pilot adjustment screws on your carbs set. Are you sure the carbs are connected to your petcock correctly, with the vaccuum line going to the correct carb etc?

Comment

no I haven't touched the valves yet, next step maybe? Pilot adjust screws (top of the carb engine side right?) are 3.5 turns back from set. I've got the vacuum line running from the number two carb to the front (inside most) connection to the petcock and fuel line running properly.

Comment

try setting your petcock to prime and see if the plugs stay dry. i had a semi plugged vac line and it played havor with the running condition of the motorcycle. i'm not really sure that is the problem here, but it would take just a moment.

also i would say, did you clean the pilot idle circuit throughly? it gets forgotten alot and a couple spritzes of carb cleaner in it doesn't usually do the trick. 3.5 turns out should definitally be rich enough, probably you'll find a little too rich ( not that it matters for the moment )

Comment

Originally posted by Brightest View Post
              no I haven't touched the valves yet, next step maybe? Pilot adjust screws (top of the carb engine side right?) are 3.5 turns back from set.
              Actually, the valves should have been the first step.

Do you have the stock airbox and exhaust pipe on the bike? If so, turn the screws back to about 2 turns out from lightly seated.
              If you have pods and/or a pipe, start with 2.5 or 3 turns.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm going to break all the rules here. Any chance you can get to the backs of the carbs with the airbox on and spray some neat fuel into the carbs as your turning it over just to see if it catches?

DONT USE EASY START PLEASE.

I will tell if its compression or carbs.

Suzuki mad

Comment

What is "neat fuel"?

No way that I know of to introduce anything between the carbs and airbox. If you think you must spray something in there, remove the filter element and spray in the direction of the carbs. The bike will start and idle, if it is at all able, but will not run properly until the filter is re-installed and the airbox closed.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    What is "neat fuel"?
                    ya! i need some of that. seems all i ever get is messy fuel

Comment

Methinks "neat" means fresh or uncontaminated.

Comment

I'm going with starting fluid of some kind, unless they ice down their petrol on the other side of the pond.

Comment

How do You know the bowls are full of fuel?

1. Check wires connected to coils, could be in the wrong order.
                          2. check coil wires to plugs, then double check for spark.
                          3. Disconnect fuel line from petcock/tank and crank engine to see if fuel comes out.
                          4. run a compression check.

If all that is good I would use a very small shot of starter fluid into the air cleaner and try to start with very little to no choke. If that doesn't work You need to pull those carbs have them completely cleaned and bench synched.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            What is "neat fuel"?
                            Come to think of it ... when I order something "neat", it comes without ice.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I'm still running stock airbox and exhaust. Tomorrow when I get some daylight when I'm not at work I'll check/adjust valves and if that fails check to see if I can't get it to start by spraying in the fuel manualy (and no we don't keep our gas on ice here.... infact some days you have to go out of your way to make sure it doesn't happen... stupid winter)

Comment

Working...
                              X