air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air box

I am having a hell of a time getting the stock air boxes and carbs on my 80 1100E. what is the trick ?
    I have tried lubing up the box and I just can't find a way to get the carbs to go into the 'collector'.
    Do I hook them up together outside the frame, then remove the engine carb-boots and try to wiggle the boots in afterwards? I just thought of that while writing this.
    I think I see why it had pods on it when I bought it!
    Last edited by morpheus666; 07-17-2008, 09:36 AM. Reason: I am a dumass
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Past:73' CL360, 74' CB450, 80' GS550,
    83' CB550SC, 78' CX500, 81' GL1100,
    85' GL1200LTD, 85' Honda Rebel
    84' GS1150, 92' GSX 1100G
    Current:
    80' GS1100E,,
    81 Yamaha XS1100,
    01' Bandit 1200
    sigpic

your rubbers are hardened up and that is why you are having issues. best would be to buy new rubbers, but for a quick fix in the meantime. try heating some engine oil ( doesn't have to be new, but strain it ) to 200 or so degrees and let the rubber soak in that a bit. no direct flame or heat preferably, as you can melt flat spots into the rubber that way. give it a few hours and volia, the rubber will be quite a bit more pliable than before.. although it will eventually return to it's hardened state.

Comment

Pods and a Dynojet kit.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok Her goes I have a GS650L Stock.YOU Take the Box and Carbs,Mount the Box on Back of the carbs before you put them back in or YOU WIll have Nothing But Hell with the collector.Then Box with Carbs tilted Up ,put them back ,dont get frustrated an force them ,before goin all the way in hook back up your choke and throtle,then In ,push back ,then push your carbs back down into boots.One Man can do it But Two is a Whole Lot easier! If its like mine then YOU also Have to be carefull of the back seal as the filter is in a seperate box and that seal can be a Hum Dinger.Vasaline a lil dab will do Ya on top of the Boots so Carbs will go back down into them . Then Pull everything foward ,tighten the boots first , Then Your Very Back Seal that goes from collector to air filter box . Reverse this Prosess to take them Out. Hope this Helps =) KnightRider

Comment

The 1100E had CV carbs. The inlet rubbers on this model are replacable from Suzuki (at a price) and make the job a lot easier to slide in.

I put the airbox front half in first, loose, and the inlet rubbers on the cylinder head. I push the clamps as far back from the carb area as possible to save them getting caught on the carbs as they come in .
          Carbs in a bank from the right hand side (points cover side) and then slide them in half way with the engine side up and the airbox side down.
          At this point re-attach the choke and throttle cables.
          Side the carbs the rest of the way in.
          Now pull them back towards the airbox, push the front down and they should go into the front rubbers. The the backs should start to line up and push the airbox side inmaking sure that you get all the rubbers around the carb opening. Tighten up the clamps and then the two airbox retaining bolts. Works for me, but I suspect that everybody else has a different way.
          Had a mate who used to remove some of the engine mounting bolts and let the engine fall forward in the frame to get the carbs in then jack the engine up to get the fronts in. Worked for him.

Suzuki mad

Comment

inlet rubbers

gday guys, another good trick to soften the carb rubbers, is to boil them in water, for a while, before you push them back on, safer than oil i reckon, regards.

Comment

Originally posted by mac1170 View Post
              gday guys, another good trick to soften the carb rubbers, is to boil them in water, for a while, before you push them back on, safer than oil i reckon, regards.
              with water they harden up after just a bit, though.
              not saying it's a bad idea, just that you'll have to work fast.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. The rubbers that are giving me the issue are on the collector, and I don't think they can be removed. The rubbers on the engine are fineI can get the carbs in those fairly easily.

Thanks All!!
                Current:
                80' GS1100E,,
                81 Yamaha XS1100,
                01' Bandit 1200
                sigpic

Comment

if you are talking about part number 2 in this fisce http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...d-1983/o/m5994
                  they are definitally removeable.

Comment

I have an 80, it does not show the rubber boot as a removeable part
                    Current:
                    80' GS1100E,,
                    81 Yamaha XS1100,
                    01' Bandit 1200
                    sigpic

Comment

oh.. in your first post.. you said 83. so i looked up 83.

Comment

[quote=seuadr;861066....... volia,......[/quote]
                        If we're gonna habla a different language, we should at least be able to spell the words. I'll bet our Canuck brethren can spell this right!!! LOL
                        Good advice, though. Have you personally tried the heated oil trick?

Comment

Tricky

One mistake that I made a bunch of times until I figured it out is this: There is a ridge inside the boot which makes it extremely difficult to install the carb when you try to push it on straight. What you need to do is angle it so that either the lower or upper portion of the carb goes past the ridge. Then the other part will slide right in.

It's really hard to do it any other way but you'll be amazed at how easy it is if you push either the top or the bottom in all the way...first.
                          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                            If we're gonna habla a different language, we should at least be able to spell the words. I'll bet our Canuck brethren can spell this right!!! LOL
                            Good advice, though. Have you personally tried the heated oil trick?
                            yes, i used it with my air box boots. they are getting harder, and i'm going to have to spring for new ones sooner or later but, i'm poor!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Pods and a Dynojet kit.
                              Blasphemer.
                              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                              __________________________________________________ ______________________
                              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X