Looking for a seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a seat

I have a 82 gs850gl (side cover just says L) I want a new seat because mine is coverd with electrical tape. I don't have to have anything special was just looking at getting a stock seat. Found one on jcwhitney and was about to place an order but it just didn't look right. Don't know if you guys have looked at jcwhitney but I don't think they'll fit. Doesn't look like they sell one for an L model. Where did you guys get the stock ones from? not looking to slap down a load of money just want a seat that doesn't a crack like the Grand Canyon in it.

try ebay
    or wts forum here
    those bikes are regularly parted out
    GS850GT

Comment

Hi Mr. biker_guy,

Do you need a whole new seat? Or do you need just the cover? Or do you need new foam and a cover? Is your seat pan good? As long as the seat pan is in good shape, you can rebuild, re-foam, and recover it. I got my seat cover from Dennis Kirk (read about it on my website). They also have foam repair kits. Bike Bandit will also sell seat covers, but you have to call or email them (I don't think they list them on their website). http://motorcycleseatcovers.com is also highly recommended.

Sometimes you can find a local auto upholstery shop that will re-foam and recover your seat for a reasonable cost. And if you're patient, there's always ebay. Just know that it's up to you to buy the right part because sellers often don't know what they are selling.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I just dropped my seat off at a local upholstery shop. He is going to refoam and cover for $125.

Comment

Originally posted by lee1rbc View Post
          I just dropped my seat off at a local upholstery shop. He is going to refoam and cover for $125.
          Yep, this is the way to go. Cover only cost me $50.

Comment

I had a local upholstery shop add and reshape the foam then make a sweet custom leather cover for it for $180 on my 79 gs1000e. It looks awesome I just wish I would have cleaned and painted the seat pan before I brought it to him. It was a little more than I wanted to pay but the quality of the leather and stitching are more than worth it and I know this seat will last a long time.

Comment

Yeah I went to the local shop and he told me $350

I bought a cover from Seargant. Nice quality and I will be posting pics when I get it finished.

Comment

Originally posted by buster View Post
                Yeah I went to the local shop and he told me $350

I bought a cover from Seargant. Nice quality and I will be posting pics when I get it finished.
                DANG!
                This guy had a shop behind his house, but been doing it for years.

Comment

Just got my seat back again $125. Beacause it was a GK I asked him to shave the seat more like a G. Very nice.

Comment

wow that thing looks killer!!!!

Comment

I too am looking for a seat for my 82 850G. Anyone who knows anything, let me know. Definitely thinking about having a custom job done, but heck, an original would be cheaper...

Comment

Sorry I haven't gotten back with you guys. After the first post the thread just kept falling into like the 4th page of the forums thought that was going to be my only answer. From what I'm reading I'm pretty lucky the seat pan looks great. There might be a couple places where the paint is bubbling but I'll stop that. The foam is fine just looking for the cover.

Will an 83 gs850gld seat cover fit? I went to a shop and we were looking through the catalog and I told the guy the z d and last letter where the dates they were made. But he just kept on looking and then started saying what in the world is that last letter for? I was not going to repeat myself. Anyway if that cover will fit I've got one for 60 bucks. But I would like to check out some other place because that seat cover is vinyl which I have heard can make you sweat like crazy. How comfortable is the seat cover you guys have?

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
                          But I would like to check out some other place because that seat cover is vinyl which I have heard can make you sweat like crazy. How comfortable is the seat cover you guys have?
                          Unless you have something custom made, all the seat covers are vinyl.

Another option, but one that many of the guys here don't like, is to go to a double-bucket seat. If you are an occasional rider or just go a few miles at a time, it won't matter, but if you do long trips and spend many, many hours at a time in the saddle, the comfort of a bucket seat is great. JC Whitney sells one, but does not list one for the L models. Those seats are made by Travelcade, so I went to their website and found their model S-147, it's about $150 for a foam and cover kit. Their website is down for some 'construction' right now, so here is a picture of my wife's bike so you can see how it looks.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow, that is a nice seat. You said they don't list them for the L but your picture says otherwise. I might have to get one of those...

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                              Wow, that is a nice seat. You said they don't list them for the L but your picture says otherwise. I might have to get one of those...
                              JC Whitney does not list them for the Ls, but they do for the Gs. I saw a similar seat on a friend's bike and saw the "Travelcade" tag on it, so I checked the Travelcade site, which is Saddlemen.com.
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X