Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing Idle-going to 5,6,7 grand!

Hello,
    I am having a problem with an '86 GS 750 I recently aquired(#2...).
    As it had sat for over 5 yrs, I took it upon myself to clean up the carbs as a matter of course(my first time doing carbs).I thought I did a thorough job.I cleaned jets,needles,etc. with carb cleaner,then blew everything w/compressed air. Carbs back on,clamps tightened,installed airbox lid & new filter,and some good gas was added.
    I hit the ignition,and it reluctantly turned over a couple,maybe three times,then lit up-in a big way!The engine spun to 5 grand and was going skyward before I cut the switch.
    I played with the idle adjuster,no response.Also,choke was just a bit cracked open(no more than a third),and no throttle was applied during all this.
    I'm at a loss,apparently carb work is right up there with picking a Stanley Cup winner(I picked Detroit...)
    Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Check your throttle cable routing . Where the cable attaches to throttle cam may be hanging on improperly placed intake boot clamp.

Comment

Definitely check cable routing and be sure there is about 1/8" free play in the cable using the cable adjuster. In neutral it doesn't take much throttle opening to make the motor rev.

Comment

Thanks guys,I will definately check that out.Sometimes all it takes is a little thing,eh?
        -Paul.

Comment

Working...
        X