Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tips on how to free a stuck carburettor slide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tips on how to free a stuck carburettor slide.

hello everyone.

i have been tearing down the carbs on my 1977 gs750e here the last couple nights. what i have run in to, is that the #2 carb's slide is stuck in the barrel of the carb.

i have tried some chemical solutions to free this thing, but i don't see any results... it still won't budge.

does anyone have any pointers on how to get that thing un-stuck without destoying either the carb body, or the slide?

thanks for your help everyone.

--r

If you go to the GS Garage and look up carb cleaning you'll find a picture of a guy prying out a slide with a wooden dowel. As long as you don't deform the slide by pushing on it too much wood is the way to go.

Steve

Comment

sorry, i need to be more specific...

it is MORE stuck than that... i have already worked at it with a very large craftsman crowbar(large flat-blade).

my gentle prying, well, not so gentle. maybe i should say careful not to break anything prying has netted me a big ole zero. i am about ready to bust out the propane torch to see if that will free it up.

thanks for the suggestion.

--r

Comment

Maybe try a little vinegar and see if it eats any of the oxidation. It shouldn't be strong enough to eat parts.

Comment

vinegar, eh?

worth a shot at this point.

i had been soaking in the purple power. that stuff is insane. i had *badly* varnished bowls, jets, and air tubes. 30 minutes in that crazy concoction, and all the crud just wipes off. hasn't loosened the slides tho.

now, make sure to wear gloves, or your skin will slough off... don't ask me how i know this...

--r

Comment

I wouldnt put a flame on the carb body. If you have an electric heat gun
            (lthat blows hot air, not a flame) you can warm up the carb body and the shell will expand at a greater rate than the slide inside. That should give you a thou or so clearance and you may be able to push the slide out.

Earl

Originally posted by solomrus
            i am about ready to bust out the propane torch to see if that will free it up.

thanks for the suggestion.

--r
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

GOT IT!

yup, shore did.

it was the heat that did the trick. not what you would suspect tho...

after i wrote that post about the torch, i had gotten to thinking about putting it in the oven for a bit... like i do with my nitro r/c engines to get the crank bearings out... anyways.... long story short it ended up being the scalding hot water that i was rinsing the purple power off with that did the trick.

i ran in under the tap for a few minutes, then half-heartedly tried to pull it out. well, the heat from the water was enough to turn the varnish holding the slide in there to goo, and it popped right out.

so, the worst part of these carbs is done. i'll finish up the rest of them later on, and then commence pulling the cylinder block, honing, then re-installing the head... damn surface rust on the cylinder walls...

thanks for all of the help everyone!

--r

Comment

Working...
              X