GS550L idle issues and some results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L idle issues and some results

I was going nuts with my 1980 GS550L not wanting to idle... I replaced the intake o-rings, had the carb cleaned and bench sync'd and it runs better than a 28 year old bike should...However I could not get it to idle (still) I was going to go and check valve clearance one evening when my wife (bless her) turned off the garage light on me. To my surprise it appeared as if an army of ants were down under my fuel tank welding away!

Basically my plug wires look OK, but everwhere they were attached to the frame or rubbing against another wire they were arcing. I went to the hardware store and bought some rubber vacume hose and split it and wrapped it around my wires. It still arcs a bit where the boot doesn't touch the head, but it idles better.

Now, anyone know if there is a way to replace the plug wires without the coils ($120 bucks a piece at dealer)
    Thanks all

yes. you can dig the old wire out of the coil, put a new one in, and epoxy it. you could also go for aftermarket coils, i believe you can pick them up for less than 120 dollars each.

Comment

NGK makes a wire splice for this situation. You cut off part of the old wire and screw on the splice then put the new wire in the other end and tighten it up.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what works...

Comment

Working...
        X