Fuel petcock ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel petcock ?

Ok, I was having some goofy spark plug coloring that was like this. 1,3,4 were all looking like a bit lean, kind of greyish. All the while 2 was always black and wet. I believe I answered why from another post I found while searching the forum. The vacuum line that opens the fuel petcock comes from carb 2, so I was thinking, like the guy in the other post that carb 2 was pulling gas through the vacuum line.

Before I get into this too far. The bike is an 82 gs1100gl. So far I have cleaned the carbs twice, set float height, replaced intake boot o-rings, checked and fixed valve clearances, sealed up the air box, and new plugs and air filter.

So here is what I have done. I pulled the vacuum line off the petcock and plugged it and went for a ride with the tank set to prime and WOW, what a difference, no more surging, and no more rough running over 5k RPM.

Now for my question, will this hurt anything to run on prime and switch to run when parked? Am I going to leak fuel from the vacuum port of the petcock while running on prime?

And btw, I cleaned no.2 plug before the ride and it was burning similar to the rest of the cylinders now.

My original petcock leaked thru the vacuum port enough to contaminate the oil with a LOT of gas. No matter which position I turnewd it to, it would keep feeding. I bought another one, which was for the wrong year (another story) and just plugged the vacuum fitting to be sure it wouldn't happen again. I turn it ON ( straight up and down) to turn it off, and run it on the 3 oclock postiton to ride. Works great. Either way you go, just go ahead and buy a new petcock, don't fall for the rebuild kit, you'll probably just waste ytour money like many of us have.
    Oh, and BTW, to test the petcock the way I use it, I have a tee in the middle of my fuel line, and tested it both ways into a glass jar. Up and down, no fuel, 3 oclock, fuel flows. Just gotta get in the habit of turning it off when I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post

Now for my question, will this hurt anything to run on prime and switch to run when parked?
      No, that shouldn't hurt a thing, unless you forget to switch it. Keep in mind you won't have any Reserve setting.

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
      Am I going to leak fuel from the vacuum port of the petcock while running on prime?
      I doubt it, but keep an eye on it. You could always plug it with a short length of blocked vacuum line.

Looks like about time to order a new petcock.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys. Another question, I am planning on ordering the new petcock now, and a new o-ring for it. Is there any other bits I will need to change it?

Comment

petcock bolts have washers/seals on them
          may be a good idea to get a new ones
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X