Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise...Transmission?

Hello everyone,

I have a 83 GS1100 that has a noise after it get warmed up. When I start it and run it, there is no noise present, but after I ride it several miles and the engine is warmed up there is a noise.

I don't noise where it is coming from. It seems to vibrate more than usual but as soon as i pull in the clutch the noise is reduced. wondering if that is normal or not and what you guys/girls might think it might be.

thanks!

How's your oil level?Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

the oil has about 400 miles on it and used genuine suzuki 10w40 oil

Comment

Bugger!Well that's my technical expertise used up.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

mine makes that noise too. I'm sure its not normal, I've been advised its the clutch in need of adjustment (does not slip though) or the basket is loose. I've yet to check it out as I haven't rode it very much yet. It goes away when I hold the clutch in so I imagine its either clutch or trans related. I've just been holding the clutch in at stoplights so people don't look at me funny. Mine actually sounds like clutch chatter. If you figure it out, please lemme know.

Comment

Pull the clutch cover, the pressure plate, & check torque on the clutch hub nut. If it is good then you may need to rebuild the clutch hub. You would have to remove it to inspect it to find out. Ray.

Comment

The noise you describe could be various problems, all of which are very hard to answer on an online forum.

You say GS1100. Which model? Shaft or chain?

When you say the noise goes down when you pull the clutch in would suggest that part of you problem is the clutch basket. One old curing for this noise was to have the carbs ballanced. For some reason doing this made the negine run smoother reducing the clutch noise!!

If the noise persists after pulling the clutch in then it could be the starter clutch rattling, or a clutch bearing.....

These are all COULD be, not is. Does the noise go away when you ride the bike? Does the noise go away when you increase the rpm?

Suzuki mad

Comment

Pulling in the clutch does point to the clutch. As to the vibes ? have you balanced the carbs ??
                also these bikes are air cooled and will make some engine noise
                Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2008, 02:57 AM.

Comment

yeah the carbs have been balanced and i have a heavy duty clutch basket in it but i can't remember when i put that in, maybe two or three years ago.

yes the noise goes away when i raise the rpm's but i don't know if its because my exhaust is too loud.

I have a gs1100 es chain

I will pull the cover and take a look, i was just wondering if that was normal or not

Comment

the vibrations only seem to be reduced when i pull in the clutch too....weird

Comment

Maybe clutch hub nut came loose?
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                      X