Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this possible?

I thought I had a petcock failure on the vacuum line to the number 2 carb because no. 2 was running really rich in compare to the other 3. So, I disconnect the vac. line and plug it, start the bike with the petcock in run position after running I switch to pri to keep gas going. I go for a 20 mile run and get home to a small bit a gas in my oil. At least that is what I believe happened as my oil level was good, right at the F in the window now the bubble is completely full, RATS. If the bike is on the sidestand the oil level goes below the window like normal but if on the center stand window gets completely full.

Would running the engine in prime position for extended periods put gas in the oil?

I knew it could happen if the engine was off but gee whiz even when running?

Thanks for all previos replies to my posts, my 82 gs1100gl is running better all the time due to all of your help!

Parker

I can't imagine it running on prime would be bad. When running, the vacuum line opens the petcock and I don't think it is a variable open; I think it is either open all the way or closed all the way. I could be wrong.

When it comes to reading your oil level, always do it on the center stand.

Also, oil expands when it heats up, so that might be the variation in readings...

Just some thoughts.

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of expanded oil from the heat also. I will put the bike back on the center stand and check again tomorrow after she is good and cool.

Comment

Your floats are not shutting off the fuel flow and it's running past the rings and into the oil. You won't be able to run on prime till your floats shut the fuel flow off when the bowls are full.

Comment

Yes running on prime would be bad if your floats seats don't seal anymore. It is a problem that even on the run setting that is bad. BUT saying that for that gas to get into your crankcase while the bike is running would be next to impossible as the gas must go through the cylinder past the rings to the sump. Tough to do while running. Also your plugs would foul before you could get too far.

I would check the petcock to see that it is functioning properly, then check that the bowl levels are all ok and the fuel shuts off.

Comment

Good news!!

Well my engine is cool and the oil level is back to normal.

It must have been expanded from the heat after all. That is just crazy to me. I guess it will be something to keep in mind.

I had just gone through the carbs and set all the float heights, if I had gas in the oil I would have just replaced the needle and seats.

Whew! Glad that was just a scare.

Comment

Another ?. How would one check to make sure the floats are closing when the bowls are full?

Comment

I would be very supprise if you had gas in the oil. I would check the valves and compression test if you haven't done so. Then Do a carb sync/balance
                I have had my oil do that too - reads different at times

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
                  Another ?. How would one check to make sure the floats are closing when the bowls are full?
                  you can attach a clear line at the bowl drain and run it up on the side of the carb and see if it fills up to the specified level or if the level keeps rising past the spec
                  GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                  X