difference between 78 and 79 gs1000e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difference between 78 and 79 gs1000e?

Is there any significant differece between a 1978 and 1979 gs1000e? I love the "skunk" look of the 78's but am going to look at a black/blue/gold 79 tomorrow.

no they are pretty much identical...

you should not notice any differences at all, although im sure there are some.

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
      Is there any significant differece between a 1978 and 1979 gs1000e? I love the "skunk" look of the 78's but am going to look at a black/blue/gold 79 tomorrow.
      Other than the tank and tail, they are pretty much the same.

Comment

are they a differnt shape? it is hard to see in just photos. I wonder if the 78 stripe kit will fit the tank and tail oif the 79?

Comment

I agree that the Skunk is very easy on the eye, here is another one to check out, not mine unfortunately, cheers.

Shin-Ken 1074
          1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
          1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

O-m-g

what a beauty!
            GS850GT

Comment

Here is another one for you psyguy, again not my Skunk but wish it was, cheers.

Shin-Ken 1074
              1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

speaking of flaws...

...it seems to be missing the sidekick rubber stopper
                GS850GT

Comment

Yeah and that grime under the front guard doesn't look like OEM grime, you think the owner would put in a better effort eh? Still, I could live with it even with the flaws, cheers.
                  Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
                    are they a differnt shape? it is hard to see in just photos. I wonder if the 78 stripe kit will fit the tank and tail oif the 79?
                    Yes, the 78 "skunk" stripes actually follow the body lines. There are indentions in the tank and tail.

I have seen 79 tanks with the skunk stripe and to me they don't look right. If it were my bike, I would find a scheme that works with the tank you have.
                    My advice: Be true to the bike, park it, crack open a brew and just look at it. Might take hours, days, or even weeks, but the perfect scheme will come to you if just look at it long enough.

My challenge was making an "S" fairing flow with a skunk tank. It took a solid month of "garage watching" before I figured it out. This is what I came up with:

Best regards, Jeff
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2008, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post

My challenge was making an "S" fairing flow with a skunk tank. It took a solid month of "garage watching" before I figured it out. This is what I came up with.
                      You can park that in my garage for month if you like. I promise I'll watch it as well....nicely done
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

That skunk is sweet. Unlike the ones with hair.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Looks good. I went and bought the bike tonight. I still might try a skunk theme. I went with a semi- cooly paint scheme on my 850g---until my wife took it over. I would post pictures but don't kow how. will send to someone who can.

Comment

Working...
                          X