GS1100GK Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GK Modifications

I have recently purchased a GK with just the bags and no fairing. I want to install a headlight assembly with turn signals. What should I use?

Welcome to the GSR!!!

If you can find the front assembly off an equivalent "G" model you'd be all set. I have one, but unfortunately it's not for sale. Someday I may need it if the Vetter fairing comes off or if I sell the bike. I suspect that the assembly MAY be the same as that off an 850G and perhaps other models. Regardless, you ought to be able to make them work if they're not exact replacements.

Lots of potential choices - good luck!

Regards,

Comment

P/dad,

First; Welcome to GSR.
      Where, in general, are you located?

Not intending to argue with PlaneCrazy, but,.... I have reason to think that a headlight and headlight brackets from a 1100G (or 1000 or 850) will not fit on a GK front end. THe fork tubes on 1100GK are larger diameter AND are spaced further apart than on 1100G (and also GL I would quess). THis is one of the few things that are different on a 1100GK from an 1100G (other than the obvious fairing-trunk-bags themselves), and this effects the headlight mounting, and the front fender too. I found this out after getting a front fender from a G to use on my GK - doah !

I have heard of a couple different people that have intended to dee-K a GK and make it into a G with G parts, and then run into this problem relative to the headlight. Maybe that is what happened with this one you now have.
      Last edited by Redman; 07-17-2008, 10:45 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yes, Redman is right; the front end on the GK is different from all of the other G models. My question would be do you have the stock front end or have your triple tree and forks been replaced? Maybe put up some pics and we can tell.

It could be as Redman says that the PO took off the fairing and then fournd he could not get standard headlight ears to fit around the thicker forks. The only place I could find them was Old Bike Barn. Then I decided to leave my fairing on and never took them out of the box. If they are what you need I'll sell them to you for 1/2 of whatever they cost.

Snap a pic and show us what we are dealing with.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Thanks for the ejumakayshon, guys! You learn something new every day (at least around here - hehe)!

Regards,

Comment

I'm located in Berlin, CT. Needed a project and found this 83 GK with +- 6000 miles for $200. Plan on having her very street ready by fall. God willing

Comment

Thanks. I think I'm Going to like this place. You guys are great.

Comment

As soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will. Thanks

Comment

$200 you stole it. Good luck with the repairs I would check on www.JCWmotorcycles.com for universal headlight ears
                  pn CBA011921 9.99 pr
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2008, 02:43 AM.

Comment

P/dad,

$200 for a GK that is missing the GK stuff. That seems to fit the description of what I have been looking for, for a project I have in mind (and have been collecting parts.)

You say you "needed" a project. ....
                    Yes, you are going to like this place.

To continue on from the what "dpep" was saying.... yah, maybe whatever caused someone to take off the GK fairing (crash damage?) also caused them to change out the front end, so there is a possibility you dont have a GK front end, maybe you might have a G front end in which case then a stock G headlight/brackets will fit.

Here is how to tell: Measure the width of the front fender from fork mounting to fork mounting (staight, thru the wheel). A GK will be about 5 3/4 inches (I just checked mine). Whereas a G will be at least an inch less (from what I remember from the 1100G fender I had once).

Yah, picture. We all like pictures.
                    Search for Redman in GSStories to find pics of the GK I have.
                    Last edited by Redman; 07-19-2008, 10:22 AM. Reason: spulling
                    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I'm in the process of taking the "before" pictures of the bike. When I get a rep sample I'll post. Hopefully over the weekend. I do believe, however, that the bike is totally stock. Just the way I like it. I think you may be very impressed by it's condition.

Comment

Your Search is Over

I just located a 1983 GK in Colebrook, CT on Craigslist. Go there and see what he has. He wants 850 for the entire bike. If half of what he says is true it's a home run.
                        Craigslist.org > Connecticut > motocycles > search 1983 Suzuki

you'll find it. I don't know what you need to complete your project. But I could be one of your customers for a few things.

If I find the cash laying around I'mm going to get it. Then maybe I can help you out with what you need.

Comment

My GK has an 850G front end.

The stock GK fairing was destroyed in a Bambi collision 7 years ago, and the triple tree was tweaked out of commission.

So I replaced the triple tree with one off an 850G. Got the forks from my good friend and GSR editor Dan Bard, and a chrome fender off a GS750 that I found.

The stock front wheel fit perfectly, as did the brake calipers, but with 850G mounting bolts, which are shorter than the GK's.

So, a GK can be turned into a G, but the front end parts must be replaced. You shouldn't have much trouble finding them.

I replaced the stock GK fairing with a Vetter Windjammer IV. Found the mounting hardware, adapted it to the GK frame (which is different from the G frame because of the fairing mounting holes). The Windjammer is narrower than the stock GK fairing, so the narrower 850G front end was necessary for the jammer to fit.

Comment

Working...
                          X