can't tach over 4500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't tach over 4500

I'm new to the motorcycle world, so bear with me. I did a search here and found a few issues similar to mine but it seems that I may have a different issue or multiple issues here.

Here are the facts.
    It's a '77 GS750 with electronic ignition and a 4into1 header. I bought it from my brother-in-law the beginning of the year. He says it was running last summer. It wasn't running when I bought it, but I replaced an ignition coil and the battery and it'll start now. I also added about 2.5 qts of oil to fill it up. I don't know what other info is necessary to diagnose this so I'll relay the symptoms now.

It starts only if I give it a little gas, even with the choke on full. If I let off of the throtle completely, it dies. Until it warms up, I have to be really gradual with the throtle or it dies. Once it warms up, I can't get it to rev above 4500 rpms.

My brother-in-law says he cleaned the carbs out a year or two ago, but the bike's been sitting for at least a year. The registration and inspection are dated 06/01. I've never dismantled a carbeurator before and am a little squeamish about doing so. Budget's tight so I'll do what I have to, to save the $50/hr labor by doing it myself. The Clymer manual doesn't tell me much, so I'm coming to the experts.

Let me know what other info is necessary to diagnose. It's my first bike, so I'm anxious to get her on the road.

Thanks in advance.

might be spark plugs

Try changing your sparl plugs, I know I used to have a 1000 that would foul plugs left and right, particularly if left to set for a while

Comment

also run some gas treatment in the tank and try to ride it a bit if possible-sometimes it will help clear a gummy situation if it is not too serious. But dont get cheap, go for those plugs. Keep the gang informed. There are sa lot of folks aroung here with 750 experienc.

Comment

plugs are cheap.. I paid 2.00 a piece... also check your ariflow.. seems as if you have som resriction.. I had a turbo car do that after we custom fabbed a ne intake hose.. turned out that as we cranked up the boost it was sucking the hose closed thus preventing it from revving.also flush the tank, the gas may have spoiled....

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with a whole lot of free time to mess around with the bike trying to figure out what's going on. I was able to spend about 30 minutes with it last Sunday and was able to determine that even with the replacement coil, It's still only running on cylinders 2 & 3. I don't yet have the right size spark plug wrench to check the plugs. The funny thing is that last Saturday, it was running perfectly for a few minutes. I was reving the engine a bit and was just about ready to take it for a spin when all of a sudden, 1 & 4 quit on me. Any thoughts?

Comment

try turning your idle screw to increase RPM's, maybe it's just too far back

Dave W

Comment

Originally posted by aRs3n1c
              Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with a whole lot of free time to mess around with the bike trying to figure out what's going on. I was able to spend about 30 minutes with it last Sunday and was able to determine that even with the replacement coil, It's still only running on cylinders 2 & 3. I don't yet have the right size spark plug wrench to check the plugs. The funny thing is that last Saturday, it was running perfectly for a few minutes. I was reving the engine a bit and was just about ready to take it for a spin when all of a sudden, 1 & 4 quit on me. Any thoughts?
              Could be that the coil wires are loose. You said electronic ignition, so not condensers to worry with.

Comment

Usually, abrupt failure is an electrical problem. That it quit upon reving the engine could be nothing more than a loose or dirty connector and the increased vibration caused a loss of continuity. I would also take a multimeter and check the coils for resistance between the + and - terminals and between the plug caps.

Earl

Originally posted by aRs3n1c
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Okay I checked the resistance on the coils between the + and - and both coils were about 4.7 ohms. Could you explain again how to check the resistance at the caps?

I found some time to mess with it last evening and found that 1 and 4 are sparking when the starter button is initially pressed and when the kill switch is hit. As I understand it, only the orange and white wire goes from the starter button and kill switch to the coils. The fact that one coil is fireing consistently but not the other has me a bit baffled. And why would the 1-4 coil fire when I hit the kill switch? Could there be a short somewhere else?

My only consolation is that south eastern Pennsylvania has been having a very wet spring. There have been only about half a dozen days this month where there wasn't at least threat of some serious rain.

I'm hoping that I'll have this thing running right by the time the weather decides to cooperate.

Comment

Okay, I just read something about wax coming out of the coil signifying that the coil is overheating. I'm guessing that this is a bad thing. The used replacement coil that I put on had wax dripping out of it last night. So do I need yet another replacement coil? Should I go with a pair of after market coils? Any suggestions as to what kind/brand (Dyna vs Accel)? What is causing this coil to overheat? What do I do to prevent another coil from frying?

Comment

you have a voltage problem

Comment

Since I'm a newbie, could you explain a little more? How do I find the problem and how do I correct it?

Comment

What kind a voltage are you having at the battery? what is it at the coil? Have you checked all the grounds? rev the bike up a bit and see waht the voltage does... Earl is the man and if he get s to read this he can elaborate more... but check these things... voltage at idle should be 12.3-13.3 +/- upper rpms 13.8 -14.5 +/- Any higher and you have a problem
                          Coil voltage at ignition on should be the same as the batter +/- a tenth or so..

Comment

So having higher voltage at the coil than I do at the battery would cause the coil to overheat and drip wax all over the place? What would be causing the voltage at the coil to be higher? My understanding is that the orange wire at the coil comes directly from the ignition switch without passing "Go" or collecting $200.

Comment

what it sounds like is that your coils are overheating. And since there are no real thermal causes that leads to overchatging due to high electrical current.....Like I said though you may want to pm earl on this... He is the man when it comes to these bikes..

Comment

Working...
                              X