Cam Chain tensioner issue 550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain tensioner issue 550e

Can someone explain how a cam tensioner can "go bad". Mine seems to be too loose or not tensioning enough. Currently I have the set screw in making a constant tenion. The bike runs better than ever there are no rattle noise and no flat spots in the powerband. I know its not recommended to turn in on the set screw but is'nt that essentially what an APE tensioner is doing? Keeping a constant pressure on the chain. I know I'm going to be told to just do a rebuild but will that make it tension more. Can I maybe put a stronger spring in?

Which screw are you calling the 'set screw'? The one on the left side? That one is supposed to be tightened when the plunger is retracted so the tensioner can be installed, then loosened about half a turn and locked into the loose position with the lock nut.

If you have the screw itself locked down tight, you are not letting the tensioner do its job.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Check out bwringers site http://bwringer.com/gs/ all you neec to know about tensioners

Comment

The only time I have had a problem was when the outer knerled knob and spring came off giving the tensioner no tension.

Suzuki mad

Comment

I think I may have got lucky that day and the bike was running great. I sinced F'd with it again and can't get the same result as the other night. What I meant prior about turning in on the set screw(left) to lock the plunger in. I did'nt see harm in doing that because it seems other bike like my yamaha which can't be adjusted at all or the APE tensioner basically (manually adjusted)have the plunger stiff in on the guide. I'll try the rebuild for the time being as well. So I'll have Automatic tensioning again. The automatic is supposed to mean it adjusts itself without the person having to adjust every 3,000 miles or something to compensate for chain wear. From what I read. I only have 8600 mile on the bike so I don't think there is that much wear on the chain.

Comment

Just did rebuild. I added the extra 1/2 turn of spring tension like in the Tutorial. Will test ride in the morning.

Comment

Working...
            X