lone WIRE ground above airbox or goes to battery neg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lone WIRE ground above airbox or goes to battery neg

Sorry to post it again or at least part of it. I did not want to mess anything up in the way of electrical because I know how electric issues can get

I took the airbox out and at that point discovered a lone black wire with white line sittiing there. I traced it back two or three inches to the wiring harness which is to the left on the frame just outside the battery area. it comes out of the wiring harness there with the two wires,(actually three two crimped together on one connector and one other crimped connector for the sender unit. and another black wire coming out of the harness at the same location going to the battery. I do not know if this black wire with a round connector goes to the battery or was grounded on the bolt at the top of the airbox???

When I turn the ignition everything seems to work turn signal lights etc. with this wire not connected to anything. The problem is when I bought the bike it had no btry in it the coils where off bike and all the negative wires to the battery I thought were held together with a nut and bolt so I thought?? When I started the bike the other day before removing carbs this wire was not on battery but maybe it should be, it is right length? anyone with a count of how many wires there 82gs850gl has to the negative battery terminal??

Originally posted by buckeyemike View Post
    I do not know if this black wire with a round connector goes to the battery or was grounded on the bolt at the top of the airbox???

... anyone with a count of how many wires there 82gs850gl has to the negative battery terminal??
    Sounds like it should either be connected to the chassis or the battery.

How many wires on the negative battery terminal? Well, I would not count my wife's bike as typical, mainly because I am the one that maintains it, but there is exactly ONE wire on each battery terminal. I tend to make any extra connections at the next connection point away from the battery.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

backtrack

can you track the wire - where its coming from or going to ? - that could help

Comment

I think Steve is correct. If you study the service manual and look at the wire and routing diagram, it will show that two thin black/white wires come out of the wiring harness at the top just in front of the battery. One wire is the negative/ground to the mounting plate on the side of the battery box and goes under the screw of the ignitor or solenoid and the other one, this is yours I think, is the battery box ground and goes under the front bolt that holds the battery box down. They are used to provide a proper wired ground/negative from the negative conductor in the harness to the mounting frame and the battery box.

There are lots of advice on the forum to run a direct wire from the mounting plate to the battery negative due to these wires not in the right place, missing or making bad contact thus causing a bad ground to anything connected there.

Comment

I ran a couple of extra grounds to the frame on both my bikes. That one meets up with one of them for sure.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X