Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover gasket

I just bought a valve cover gasket off ebay for like 12 or 13 bucks shipped. I went to change it out the old one looked thicker possibly even made out of thin metal. The new one (which didn't fit he's supposed to be sending me the right one this time) looked just like any other gasket I've seen. Just thin card board stuff. I'm assuming when I get the right one it will be made out of the same stuff. Is that just today's gasket technology or did I get ripped off 12 or 13 bucks? What really got me wondering is that he doesn't even care if I send back the one that doesn't fit. So to me either I'm getting scammed or he's getting a major discount on gaskets. Anyplace else I've seen no cheaper than around 20 bucks shipped.

He's probably selling generic gaskets. They are sometimes thinner but still will work. If your tack gear is in the cam cover make sure it goes on ok. So posting what bike you have helps

Comment

I will give you some advice when it comes to gaskets for a street bike. STOCK, STOCK, STOCK!!!!!!!! Go see your dealer & bite the bullet & get the RIGHT one! Ray.

Comment

Sorry about that it's a gs850gl. I thought what bike didn't matter in this case. Stock gasket would be nice. This one might work but I'll also be wondering if I'm blowing oil all over where as the stock one I could drive in peace. I don't know it's only 12 bucks. I have made bigger mistakes.

Comment

Another gasket option

Hi Mr. biker_guy,

Mr. rapidray is right, the stock part always works. But, especially for the 850s, I like using a Real Gasket (reusable silicone rubber - follow the included installation directions!). They last for years and there's no time wasted scraping off old gasket material every valve check. They cost double the generic gasket (about $25), but I think it's money well spent.

The Real Gaskets work more easily on some bikes than others. A little extra care must be taken on those bikes with the tach gear in the valve cover (the correct part, the correct installation procedure, etc). But it is an option that can save you time and money.

Just something to think about.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I have a Real Gasket valve cover gasket, and they work. You need less torque on the cover bolts to seal, and that's always a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
              I just bought a valve cover gasket off ebay for like 12 or 13 bucks shipped. I went to change it out the old one looked thicker possibly even made out of thin metal. The new one (which didn't fit he's supposed to be sending me the right one this time) looked just like any other gasket I've seen. Just thin card board stuff. I'm assuming when I get the right one it will be made out of the same stuff. Is that just today's gasket technology or did I get ripped off 12 or 13 bucks? What really got me wondering is that he doesn't even care if I send back the one that doesn't fit. So to me either I'm getting scammed or he's getting a major discount on gaskets. Anyplace else I've seen no cheaper than around 20 bucks shipped.
              I'm adjusting my ES valves this weekend while replacing the leaking valve cover gasket. Local dealer has it in stock for $21. Why wait a week and also pay $5 shipping for an $18 gasket? The dealer is the way to go for a bunch of these things. No wait, correct part, many times costs less if you factor in shipping, and is on my way home from work.

Comment

Just a suggestion--- you might want to replace those rubber/steel half moons below the gasket at the end of each cam. After paying around $27 for the genuine suzuki gasket and installing it on my 850G last fall, one of those half moons started to leak after 900 mi. 30 years is probably long enough for the rubber to lose it's resiliency. I had to spring for another $27 gasket as well as around $14 for the half moons. I could have avoided the extra time, expense, and an oil soaked pant leg if I had replaced them the first time.

Comment

If you want one quick make your own. Easy to do and there's a tutorial on here somewhere.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

really it is leaking from those half moons below the gasket. Didn't know they came off and just thought I needed a new gasket. Where do I get those from??

off topic where do I get intake boots from? I can't find any one that sells them for my bike. I can find the o-ring but not the boot.

Comment

I've never replaced the half moons on any GS. They do go hard but if you just give them a light smear with silicon gasket sealant they should seal - the oil pressure is low and they only really have to hold back splashes.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
                        really it is leaking from those half moons below the gasket. Didn't know they came off and just thought I needed a new gasket. Where do I get those from??

off topic where do I get intake boots from? I can't find any one that sells them for my bike. I can find the o-ring but not the boot.
                        Hi Mr. biker_guy,

There is a list of our favorite vendors in the mega-welcome you received. If you've misplace yours, check the online version HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                        X