Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the 1981 GS1100E... are 1981 GS750 Parts interchangable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the 1981 GS1100E... are 1981 GS750 Parts interchangable?

I have a 1981 GS1100EX that I am restoring.

Jeff Gordon has 1981 GS750 parts (Front Fender and Swingarm) for sale.

My question to the collective is..." Are the Front Fender and Swingarm the same for these two bikes?..."

I need the swingarm (polished, of course) and the Front Fender for my paint job. My ole front fender has be litteraly sand blasted by time and elements until she starts to crumble under your fingertips.

I think these two parts might be interchangeable, but it has been a long time since I have seen a '81 GS750 and a GS1100EX side by side for comparison.

What say you, GS'ers???
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2008, 04:31 AM.

Bumping this back to the top... please someone must know the answer to this.

I am restoring my bike, and my painter is getting nervous, he will put me to the back of the line if I do not score a fender pretty soon.

He insists on painting all parts at one spraying, and is missing the front fender.

Comment

Question?

I don't know the answer to your question but, as you can see from my signature, I own both a '80 GS750 and a '80 GS100. Many parts are interchangeable and, oddly, many that you might think would be, are not.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have a 81 GS750EX(rider), 80 GS750E (parts bike) and a 83 GS1100ED (rider).

I'm almost positive that the GS1100 has the aluminum swing arm and none of the 80-81 GS750 s do. (strike 1).

I was told that the tube spacing (separation) of the GS750 v.s. GS1100 forks tubes was different so for the front fender, you would think they would not swap, however they two bikes show the same part number still avaliable.

GS750E and GS1100E

9FENDER,FR
        53110-45421-13L (replaces 53100-49830-737) 1$123.59 Flatout Cycle.
        Posplayr

Comment

I don't beleive the swing arms are the same. Al least the OD of the pivot bearings are smaller on the 750 so it may be tricky to get it to work. you could probably put an 1100 arm on a 750 with custom bearings but I think you'll have trouble finding a thin enough bearing to put the 750 arm in the 1100.
          I think the front fender is interchangable though.

Comment

That year 750 has a STEEL swingarm so you don't want it anyway! The fork tubes will go right into YOUR triple clamps so bolt them in! The 750 fork springs are a little lighter but that IS fixable! I hope this helps you. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              That year 750 has a STEEL swingarm so you don't want it anyway! The fork tubes will go right into YOUR triple clamps so bolt them in! The 750 fork springs are a little lighter but that IS fixable! I hope this helps you. Ray.
              Thank you for your response, I guess I will go with a 1981GS1100EX swingarm and front fender.

Now if I could only find those rascals

Comment

Originally posted by 76FJ55 View Post
                I don't beleive the swing arms are the same. Al least the OD of the pivot bearings are smaller on the 750 so it may be tricky to get it to work. you could probably put an 1100 arm on a 750 with custom bearings but I think you'll have trouble finding a thin enough bearing to put the 750 arm in the 1100.
                Looks as though I am out of luck on those parts then, dang...so close!

Thanks for the expert knowledge. I will contribute when I can as I am a freakin wiring genius...

Comment

Originally posted by 76FJ55 View Post
                  Well, you are the first of three to give me the same sad story. Thanks for your input.

Guilbeau's my Name
                  Electronics MY game...

I ya'll need advice on the cosmic electronic bit bucket, get ahold of me.

Comment

Working...
                  X