Choke Lever Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Lever Problem

The choke cable lever on my GS550 opens the choke ok, but I have to hold the lever open with my thumb. The lever won't stay open on its own. If I left go it snaps back in place. Its nuisance holding it open while the bike warms up - any fix for this?

I have an '85 GS550L with the same issue - pain in the butt!!

There's a screw on the bottom of the choke lever assy that holds the choke lever on... if you tighten that it will help. I've been meaning to dis-assemble that to see what's actually holding it in place. Maybe put an o-ring or lock-washer in there to provide resistance?

Good luck

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

son of a biscuit...i have the same problem, and i just assumed it was how these things were made in 1982. mine is a 82650G, so i looked online at bikebandit, and sure enough, there are a few parts that go into this, all cheap.

never thought of adjusting the screw or disassembling it to see what's wrong. thanks. it truly is a pain, especially when i leave the bike in gear...i cannot get it into neutral until it really warms up, and so i am standing there with the clutch engaged, with my thumb going on the choke lever, putting my helmet off, trying to keep the dog from jumping on me, etc...it would be so much easier if i could apply choke and step away.

here's the bikebandit link to the 650G part.

Comment

I think what you guys need is #17 on the LH switch assy on the above link. It's like a spring/wave washer that compresses and keeps that lever where you put it.

Comment

Another thing you can do is to adjust the carbs so you won't have to hold it as long.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

tightening that screw fix mine. thanks guys. i feel like such an idiot that it didn't occur to me to think of something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
              tightening that screw fix mine. thanks guys. i feel like such an idiot that it didn't occur to me to think of something like that.
              Tightening the philips head underneath the lever corrected that problem on both of my GSes and they stay in place hands free. You may find that they loosen up over time and need a little re-rightening. Use a short stubby philips head and don't try to torque it down...it's only plastic. My bikes run great, but I like to start with 3/4 choke and then free my hands up to zip up the coat, put the gloves, and put my helmet on, check the controls then I'm good to go after 30 seconds. Then I flip the choke off.

Comment

Working...
              X