Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have a clutch cable replacement how-to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone have a clutch cable replacement how-to?

I searched the forum threads for this, and looked on BikeCliff's website - just wondering if anyone had a link or a pointer to an "instructable" type step-by-step clutch cable replacement - which I'm assuming is relatively similar between GS models.

On my 1983 gs550e i loosened the nut on the cable where it attaches to the case, then i loosened and removed the cable from the handle. It was fairly easy, other models may have specific ways of doing it. After installation adjustment was just as easy if you have the factory manual or a clymers it will guide you through it. Hope this helps.

Comment

What bike do you have?

On the 83 750E you need to remove the cover from the counter sprocket and the shift lever. Then you unhook the cable from the linkage on the back. Send the new one through the hole and hook it into the linkage, attach the new cable to the bottom of the old with some electrical tape, and pull the new cable up under the tank and past the steering head. then hook the head into the handle with a little lithium grease in the socket. After the side cover is replaced you take up most of the play with the adjuster on the bottom end of the cable. Now back up to the top to set the play in the handle to 1-2mm.

Comment

It's pretty difficult

Are you ready

Take off the old one and put on the new one the same way.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Pretty much. There's no how-to because it would take longer to write than to actually do.

I did mine today. Took less than 10 minutes.

Comment

I'm thinking about doing a how-to.. since today I took my old one off, put the new one on, and got everything ready to go... only to discover that the new cable sheath was too long or something. It didn't feel like the clutch was fully disengaging with the bar pulled all the way in. Lots of resistance rolling forward with a gear selected and the clutch pulled in.

So... I took it all back apart, put the old cable back on.. only to discover: it did exactly the same thing as the new cable!

Started the bike up and... no resistance! So I guess the new cable would have worked just fine.

Tomorrow when I put the new cable back on, I'll take some pics. I'm getting really really good at the process.

Comment

Cool, man - that would be uber-helpful. I'm a relative Noob at the whole do-it-yerself stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X