Perhaps a fuse? Hmmmm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps a fuse? Hmmmm?

So its a bit dark out and I don't have a garage, so let me pose this question here instead of fumbling around outside and getting eaten by bugs.

My front brake switch is not working too well and I replaced it a couple months ago and remembered I put a lot of grease in there, so I figured that is messing with the electric current. I take the switch apart and its dirty so I clean it up and put it back together. No brake light still. I decide to test it by placing the little copper piece on the 2 little copper rows (to complete the circuit) and the brake light lights up nice and bright. Then there is a click and my bike is dead.

I took out my battery to charge it, since I wanted to charge it up anyways, and it seems thirsty. It has been charging for about an hour now.

However, I'm guessing I blew a fuse. Opinions? Are the fuses located mostly in the headlight? Any other more ominous predictions as to what I have accomplished in my spare time today?

The fuses on my bike are located under the panel on the left side in a white box that says fuse and they are all there. Either bulb or fuse blew, maybe both. I am not sure why it would have blown unless the switch isn't the exact one you need and the current isn't right. I take it the bike was off while you were doing this? A low battery could cause issues with lights and the such

Comment

Yup, blown fuse. I've done almost the exact same thing.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by ohgoodtimes View Post
        The fuses on my bike are located under the panel on the left side in a white box that says fuse and they are all there. Either bulb or fuse blew, maybe both. I am not sure why it would have blown unless the switch isn't the exact one you need and the current isn't right. I take it the bike was off while you were doing this? A low battery could cause issues with lights and the such
        Indeed the bike was off. The switch is correct. I hope that's where my fuses are too. That would be cool. Thanks.

Comment

I couldn't wait till tomorrow, haha. I went out in the back with a flashlight and checked the fuse (which is under the left side cover thank you very much) and whoa, this thing is toast. It actually looks pretty cool with the smoke and metal blasted onto the inside of the glass.

The battery is also still charging.

Comment

That switch has a live positive on it with the ignition on and if you should touch the terminal to ground, such as the handlebar metal, the fuse will blow! Thats most likely what happened.

Comment

Working...
            X