Tutorial or Pics of Clutch Inspection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorial or Pics of Clutch Inspection?

Switched over to 10w-40 Synthetic the other day and I noticed now, usually when I have a passenger, my clutch slips in 3rd gear when the throttle is about halfway. Some searching on the forum and it seems most folks just needed to replace or shim the clutch springs. I have the service manual and see what the thickness spec is on the springs, but how do I get at em?

This seems to be the last part of my bike that I have not inspected or opened up. I assume this is all under the left side cover? Do I need to drain the oil or anything before i open her up?

Clutch is on right hand side of bike. You need to pull the engine cover. If the bike is leaned on the side stand, you won't loose a whole lot of oil - use a catch pan though to avoid mess. Pull the clutch out and measure the fiber plate thickness and replace the springs since they sag with use. If the plates are okay, just put them back in. You will need a new gasket of course.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you can roll the bikes tires up on a 2X8 board, when the bike is leaned on the sidestand it will lean at more of an angle, minimizing the loss of oil. Just a little cheeep way to minimize mess.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sh*t, I'm going to need to replace the gasket if I'm just replacing the springs?

Going for a ride down to Philadelphia on Sunday and then over to Long Island on Monday, and I don't think I have time to obtain a new gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
          I don't think I have time to obtain a new gasket.
          I got mine at FBG. Dont know if they have one for your bike or if they are close to you. Might be worth a call...

Fast By Gast
          120 Industrial Drive
          Grand Island, New York 14072
          Local Contact:
          Phone: (716) 773-1536
          Fax: (716) 773-7509

Peter, Here are some pics of my clutch overhaul. Dont know if they will help but at least youll be on the right side of the bike. ; )

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post

Peter, Here are some pics of my clutch overhaul. Dont know if they will help but at least youll be on the right side of the bike. ; )

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=125593

AWESOME! Thanks!

Comment

If the GS clutch is the same as the Bandit 1200 which I think it is then you don't want to use Fully Synthetic oil as it WILL cause it to slip. Go back to Semi Synthetic and you should be ok

This problem gets mentioned all the time on Oldskoolsuzuki and the answer is always the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Froudster View Post
                If the GS clutch is the same as the Bandit 1200 which I think it is then you don't want to use Fully Synthetic oil as it WILL cause it to slip. Go back to Semi Synthetic and you should be ok

This problem gets mentioned all the time on Oldskoolsuzuki and the answer is always the same.
                Guess I'll go back to semi or regular oil, thansk guys!!

I swear others on here do not have any issues with synthetic, but oh well, easy to try...

Comment

Originally posted by Froudster View Post

*sigh*

Let's clarify the "full synthetic WILL cause it to slip" business a bit:

My 82 EZ has 81,000 miles on it and has never had anything BUT Mobil 1 automotive 15w50 full synth in it since I have owned it (60,000+ miles ago), the clutch didn't slip even when I changed out the original fibers just a few thousand miles ago. If you run synth that is rated as Energy Conserving/Energy Conserving II (i.e., 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30), you may well get slippage due to increased amounts of friction modifiers in the EC oils. 10 & 15w40, 15w50 and 20w50 are not EC/ECII oils, and do not have the aforementioned friction modifiers....I know guys who drag race nitrous bandits who use 10w30 M1 synth and geuss what...no slippage, and the only clutch mod is a single Barnett HD spring mixed in with the other stock springs.
                  Last edited by Cassius086; 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM.
                  Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                    My 82 EZ has 81,000 miles on it and has never had anything BUT Mobil 1 automotive 15w50 in it...NO slippage.

I am using 10w-40, should I be using a heavier weight?

Comment

Not really...bike calls for 10w40, and I am sure any good 10w40 changed regularly would do you just fine) but I have always used the M1 15w50, as it seems to like the heavier oil here in the SC heat!!

Honestly, with older bikes and the synth oil/slippage debate, I think it has way more to do with weakened clutch springs than anything else. But, some bikes DO slip with synth oils, while others do not. Were I you, I would look at the clutch discs, and if they look ok, maybe put in a new set of stock springs (or heavy duty springs, if you want), and see what happens.

I know a ton of guys who own Bandit 1200's (some heavily modded, even bored out to 1216cc), and they swear by the M1 15w50 full synth.
                      Last edited by Cassius086; 08-01-2008, 03:22 PM.
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Changed my GS1000E to semi synthetic like my bandit and the clutch instantly started to slip. Changed back to mineral and it still slips.

The GS(X)1100 is running the same semi synthetic like the bandit without any problems.

Weird.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Working...
                        X