Off Topic: Ridiculous Horesepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Topic: Ridiculous Horesepower

OK, Don't know if they are popular on the west coast (and pretty sure unknown in Oz, New Zealand, Britain, etc...), but in the south and midwest we have "Tractor Pulls" which involve various classes of "tractors" and trucks pulling a heavy sled down a track for distance. The weight moves forward on the sled as you go down the track so the further you go the heavier it gets. I went to one last night, and in the "unlimited" class the two most popular configuration was either FIVE 526cc Dodge Hemi engines with super chargers, OR 3 Allison aircraft engines. They were saying these guys were pushing anywhere between 9000 and 12,000 horsepower. IF you've never been to one, all I can say is the sound of 5 supercharged hemis all redlined at the same time is pretty amazing. I still can't figure out how they sync all those engines perfectly and transfer the energy from all those things through one transfer case to the wheels, but quite a spectacle.

What kind of mileage do you suppose they get with one of those?
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
      What kind of mileage do you suppose they get with one of those?
      I was joking about 3 seconds per gallon.

Comment

I want one of those 1800+ hp 526cc engines!

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
          I want one of those 1800+ hp 526cc engines!
          Can you imagine sticking one of those in a Dodge Charger or a GTO. guessing street driveability would be a little compromised (heh), and you'd probably go through tires pretty quick. I guess if you spent 25 or 30 grand on an engine tires are the least of your concerns tough.

Comment

yeah and imagine losing that 350~ish pounds from not having the typical 526ci engines they run!

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
              yeah and imagine losing that 350~ish pounds from not having the typical 526ci engines they run!
              Apparently a couple of big name builders on the west cost. Couple guys running "sassy" Hemis, some others "Black" Hemis. These might be the arena version of "internet stats", but they were talking about some of those single hemis being in the 2200 or 2300 HP range. There was a guy in the single engine class with Cadillac engine, like a 540 I think with twin turbo on it, but he couldn't pull with the Hemis.

Comment

Sounds like fun, 20 years ago we had tractor pulling competitions in New Zealand when I was a kid at the local A&P (agricultural and pastoral) shows. Here is the novel bit, they used tractors, as in the ones that farmers use with real farmers driving them. Clever buggers those farmers I reckon...

Comment

Originally posted by terbang View Post
                  Sounds like fun, 20 years ago we had tractor pulling competitions in New Zealand when I was a kid at the local A&P (agricultural and pastoral) shows. Here is the novel bit, they used tractors, as in the ones that farmers use with real farmers driving them. Clever buggers those farmers I reckon...
                  They do those too. It's like drag racing, go from stock to modified to super stock. The stock tractors are fun to watch as well.

Comment

The multi engine pulling tractors usually use overrun clutches, but once the load is put on the tractor all the motors get pulled down from their max RPM and there fore all 5 are applying power to the transmission.

I personally prefer classic stock or mild modified pulls. I have 2 tractors that I pull with in the classic stock classes.

Comment

My grandfather borrowed a Merlin engine from the RAF at the end of the war, for no reason other than it was waiting to be borrowed. And when I was a kid my dad stuffed it in to the back of an old Bedford van. Clever engineering looking back at it now but I didn't appreciate it at the time.

He used to wheel it out some weekends and would blast down the straight concrete pad left by the Canadians at the tank assembly area they built for D day (it's still there and solid as 'ell).

I must get more detail off my dad but I know it was the 2 stage supercharged Merlin and pumped out around 1500 bhp. It's still probably the quickest / scariest thing I've ever been in.

Ended it's days with the engine being stripped and sold to be put in a boat. That would have been some boat.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                        Apparently a couple of big name builders on the west cost. Couple guys running "sassy" Hemis, some others "Black" Hemis. ...
                        Not sure about the "Sassy" Hemis, but the "Black" Hemis are blocks made or prepared by Hemi legend Keith Black.

OK, I Googled "sassy hemi" for you. Here's the result.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some of the BEST hemis used in tractor pulling are Brad Anderson engines. They run on alcohol (methanol or ethanol) & cost $45,000.00 EACH from oil pan to injector hat. They make almost 3,000 horsepower when set on kill. My favorite pullers are the diesel Super Stocks. Ray.

Comment

check this out, http://www.conleyprecision.com/online_videos.htm

Comment

OOh Yeah baby - it's big here too. - http://www.austractorpulls.org/start.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X