Petcock Repair. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Repair. Is it possible?

I just noticed today that my petcock flows like a river when in the on position just like it does when in the prime position. I have also noticed over the past month that it has been getting harder and harder to turn it between prime, on and res. Is my petcock repairable or do I have to bite the bullet and spend $55.00 on a new one?

Thank god my floats are set right, otherwise it would overfill my bowls. It hasn't yet, so I guess thats a good sign for now.

Repair kit

Yes, petcock rebuilding kits are available and cost about $27 or so. The only one I know of that doesn't have an available kit is the crummy one with the slotted plastic screw.....coincidentally, it is also the worst one. If you have one of the others, you can find kits through Ebay, CRConline or any number of other places. Lots of the guys are running Pingels and I'm in the process of switching mine out as well. :roll:
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

James if you need a new petcock Ron Ayers sells the one that fits your bike for about $39. I ordered one for my bike last Thursday and it should be delivered today. I'm pretty sure your bike uses the same one that mine does. I couldn't see paying $22 or $23 dollars for a rebuild kit when I could get a brand new one for $40.

Comment

Or you could try my favorite.

Look under K &L Kits

Terry

Comment

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Comment

Re: Petcock Repair. Is it possible?

I would be very cautious about a petcock that still allows fuel to flow when the bike isnt running. Generally, even float needle valves that do work properly will in time (as in overnight) allow some fuel to seep past. Any seeping fuel will find its way into the crankcase oil. Running an engine that has gas mixed in its crankcase oil is just about the (my opinion) worst thing you can do.

Earl

Originally posted by JGonier
            I just noticed today that my petcock flows like a river when in the on position just like it does when in the prime position. I have also noticed over the past month that it has been getting harder and harder to turn it between prime, on and res. Is my petcock repairable or do I have to bite the bullet and spend $55.00 on a new one?

Thank god my floats are set right, otherwise it would overfill my bowls. It hasn't yet, so I guess thats a good sign for now.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Is it possible to take the insides out of the petcock out in order to make it always on? I would put a valve on the fuel line. The reason I need to do this is that when on ON the bike runs out of gas while going down hill :? It also runs lean when on ON, not to mention the bike stumbles when on ON or PRIME.

Thanks for any input,
              Steve

Comment

I ordered mine from sirius for $26.00 including shipping. It sealed the leaky beast right back up. I'll be going back to them for the carb rebuild kits, good company and quick order processing it got here from Canada in 3 days without any priority shipping.

Comment

heres what i did.....plugged the vacuum source for good, found a much heavy`r spring to go on the backside of the fuel valve so when i turn it to prime it runs out but will not run out on on

Comment

Good idea Rick.

Comment

I just rebuilt the petcock on my 1981 550L with a $27 kit I bought from my local Suzuki dealer. Easy and effective.

Comment

I just picked up one from an all motorcycle junk yard for $4.00

Comment

Working...
                        X