Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel or electrical problem?

Hello,

The bike is a 1983 Katana 750 with 55k on according to the odometer.

-compression is around 150 across all cyclinders
    -cylinders 1 and 2 are running a little lean (tan/white plugs) 3 and 4 are a tan color
    -has a 4 into 1 aftermarket exhaust
    -original air filter box with aftermarket filter
    -has a nice strong pale yellow spark on all cyclinders

My problem is a misfire and subsequent loss of power that starts right around 5800 rpms. The misfire is present under load or not and continues up to redline.

I do not know if the carbs have been rejetted for the exhaust and air filter.

Any suggestions how I determine if this is a electrical or fuel problem?

I may be away from the computer until tomorrow so thanks in advance for any replies.

C
    1983 750 Katana
    1982 750 Katana (parts use)
    1983 RZ350

"Nice strong pale yellow spark" doesn't jibe...you want a nice bright blue spark. Check the voltage at the coils.

Comment

Yeah, you want better than pale yellow, should be bright blue. Your symptoms can also mean fuel starvation.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I was being sarcastic with the "strong yellow spark" comment. That doesn't always come through in electronic format.

I should be able to check the voltage at the coils this afternoon. After several other mandatory jobs.

Will update later.
        C
        1983 750 Katana
        1983 RZ350

Comment

I was being sarcastic with the "strong yellow spark" comment
          I don't get it .. is that canadian humor??

Comment

EH?????????????
            Too many factors to help you.
            Could be ignition or fuel.
            Need more info of what has been done.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by mottyl View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

I was being sarcastic with the "strong yellow spark" comment. That doesn't always come through in electronic format.

I should be able to check the voltage at the coils this afternoon. After several other mandatory jobs.

Will update later.
              C
              If they're OEM coils, check the resistance of both Primary and Secondary windings also.

Comment

update

Checked the coils just now and secondary impedence is 35k and 33k. Primary is 4.2 and 4.6. According to the manual I downloaded from Basscliff's site (Thanks Basscliff) those numbers should be in the ballpark. I am using a 1983 GS750 manual. Not exactly the same but it seems pretty close as far as the engine goes.

However I am only getting 10 volts at the coils so I guess that is my first problem to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the replies so far.
                Chris
                1983 750 Katana
                1983 RZ350

Comment

misfire is gone

It turns out I was missing a part on the airbox. The top opening which I thought the seat sealed was supposed to have a screw down cover on it. I was removing the tank off the 82 parts Kat I have and saw the airbox cover. Light bulbs started going off. Put the cover on the 83 and the misfire went away.

Right now I am somewhere between happy and embarassed over such a stupid problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still need to get higher voltage to the coils but I think that is not insurmountable.

C
                  1983 750 Katana
                  1983 RZ350

Comment

misfire is gone

Thanks for the suggestions. I still need to get higher voltage to the coils but I think that is not insurmountable.

C

Search for "Coil Relay Mod". There's several threads with a lot of good information there. Sounds like if you do that, you'll be good to go. Congrats!!!

Comment

Well it turns out the misfire is still there. My short test ride down the backlane yesterday wasn't good enough. Rode to work today and it now misfires lower at around 5k.

My next step will be to get sufficient voltage to the coils, probably on the weekend.

If I get 12 volts to the coils, the spark improves and the problem is still there should I start looking at fuel issues?

Thanks
                      C
                      1983 750 Katana
                      1983 RZ350

Comment

If I get 12 volts to the coils, the spark improves and the problem is still there should I start looking at fuel issues?

Thanks
                        C
                        Either that or you've got an air leak causing a lean condition. Once you're sure you're getting a good, strong, solid spark then focus on the carbs and air intake. Leaking carb manifolds, between the carb and the engine are very common. If you haven't thoroughly cleaned out the carbs and replaced all the O-rings in them yet, that's probably you're next step. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X