valve cover issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover issue

Changed my valve cover gasket on the 1100ES due to leaking. In the pic you can see where it failed and leaked. I found a burr in the metal on the cover at that location and filed it off thinking that a PO had not noticed and it may have cut the old gasket when mounting and where it eventually failed. Something to check when you do yours. Save yourself or future owner some grief! Also noticed the gasket from the dealer was much better quality than aftermarket one I used for my 1100G even at about the same price when you factor in shipping. Because it was a light gray too, you could see the edges better and line up and adjust the gasket carefully before inserting and tightening the bolts.
    Can't figure out yet where my tach, which is working, is connected as the usual spot is capped off and the tach assembly on the front of the cover is gone??
    Note: some of my valve clearances were to big for a change...usually they tighten up??
    Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2008, 06:18 PM.

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    Note: some of my valve clearances were to big for a change...usually they tighten up??
    The 8-valve engines tighten up, the 16-valve engines loosen up.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure that 'burr' in the valve cover is not actually a crack. Remove the oil and dirt near that area and look for a fracture. If the cover is cracked, no amount of sealants or gaskets will stop it from leaking. You will have to repair (weld) it or replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
        Make sure that 'burr' in the valve cover is not actually a crack. Remove the oil and dirt near that area and look for a fracture. If the cover is cracked, no amount of sealants or gaskets will stop it from leaking. You will have to repair (weld) it or replace it.
        More of a sharp edge in the casting, no cracks after cleaning, took down that edge to prevent it catching the new gasket somehow and buggering it up.

Comment

If the tack is working it is electronic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The 8-valve engines tighten up, the 16-valve engines loosen up.

The valves still settle and reduce clearance.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              If the tack is working it is electronic
              YES, the 1100ES & the 1150s all have ELECTRONIC tachs instead of cable drive. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                YES, the 1100ES & the 1150s all have ELECTRONIC tachs instead of cable drive. Ray.
                thanks, that answers that question

Comment

Got the oil leak squared away by replacing the valve cover gasket. It was a little deceiving as the oil was dripping below the front of the head coming down through the channels looking like it was leaking lower on the engine. Had to wait almost a week for the breather cover gasket I ordered. Didn't think I would need it but found out otherwise when removing. Changed the spark plugs, adjusted the valves, set the pilot mixture screws, and replaced the headlight bulb while it was apart, and she runs like a champ now...ran fine before but now even better and without the oil leak.

Comment

Changed the spark plugs, adjusted the valves, set the pilot mixture screws, and replaced the headlight bulb while it was apart, and she runs like a champ now...
                    Yep, replacing the headlight bulb is that final touch that most people neglect in their effort to get the bike to run right. Glad you did not forget yours.
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Yep, replacing the headlight bulb is that final touch that most people neglect in their effort to get the bike to run right. Glad you did not forget yours.
                      Now, now...don't be making fun of me
                      I replaced the bulb because my LOW beam was OUT, but now I can see better at night while I go faster on my better performing ES!!!!
                      Yikes, everyone's a wiseguy...someday you'll graduate to becoming a smart*ss!

Comment

Yikes, everyone's a wiseguy...someday you'll graduate to becoming a smart*ss!
                        Yup, that's why the flag was flyin'.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                        X