Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front signal light wires... where do they plug in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front signal light wires... where do they plug in?

I just picked up a GS550L for $400 ... the guy I bought it off said that it ran well 2 years ago, but he stored it in a barn for 2 years after he fixed a fuel line and then didn't want to bother finishing. Anyway, the problem is that the front right and left blinker lights have black wires hangind down and for the life of me I can't find any place to plug them into. I also thought there should be a black and white wire coming down as well ... any ideas how to hook up those front blinkers? Also, would the starter turn over if the fuel tank is not hooked up? I hooked up my 12 volt scooter (honda elite 250cc) battery to the cycle and I find that only the front headlights and the back brake lights work ... i checked the fuse box and all fuses seem okay ... Could it be that I need to get a new battery? Any suggestions on what I should do before firing it up ... Thanks, Greg
    Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2008, 11:40 PM. Reason: forgot to identify bike in title

There are two types of signals I've seen on these old GSs. One the ground is on the stem and nut that holds the turn signal stalk to the bike. Some have both the ground and + coming out from inside the stalk. The ground is soldered to the spring. Both grounds do go into headlight bucket to ground plugs. The postitive usually are black with a white stripe. These will go to the hot leads for the signals. Either get a manual for a wiring diagram or use a test light to find these.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the info. What's strange is there's only one wire coming from each. No ground wire like the back lights. Could it be that these were at sometime attached to a front fairing? I looked at a wiring diagram, but I have to admit it was pretty confusing. It looked like a different planetary system ... i did notice that there was a positive and a ground however. Does anyone out there have only one wire front blinkers???

Comment

The turn signal mounts are grounded with little wires on rings. Make sure they are secure. Check the wires to make sure the insulation is not damaged, they can touch the stalk and pop a fuse.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X