Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

broke float pin post what the h__l to do now Suggestions anyone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broke float pin post what the h__l to do now Suggestions anyone??

So trying my hand at this carb rebuild on 82 gs850l and it has had some difficulty removing this or that but I did get through the beginning of the 1st carb actually number 4 carb. and was feeling pretty good. I work on it an hour and leave it and come back couple hours later and do the same all was going well until the float pin of all things was stuck. sprayed and took my time then all of a sudden it broke loose and took the opposite post that holds it with it. yes broke post right in half. now I have somewhat a bent pin and a broken post. So do I have to buy a whole new used set of carbs to get this carb out of it or any other options. Not sure but with luck like this it could be the end of my gs/motorcycle days. Thanks for any suggestions.

past post

saw jb weld or new carb in previous post any luck with jb weld??

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyemike View Post
      saw jb weld or new carb in previous post any luck with jb weld??
      Didn't work for me, others say yes. HUGE thread on this topic somewhere. If you use it, don't use the quick, use the longer curing, don't try and fix just the two points on either side of the pin hole, fill the whole thing and after curing 24 hours drill a new hole. A good permanent fix it a bit of brass tube slightly larger than the post used as a sleeve. Thread on that somewhere too.

Comment

alumna weld?

saw the other posts maybe I can try the alumna weld. I have some so might as well give it a try it it does not stick then will use a rod if I can figure that out. I guess I will look for a spare set thanks

Comment

I used the quick set JB weld and it worked just fine. Just make sure that it cures for the allotted time before you dunk it in gas.

Comment

I thihk your best bet is to search for a used carb body.

Comment

I took mine to a local welder. Fixed for good.

Comment

Did the exact same thing the other day. I'm just looking for a new carb body. I wouldn't trust any bonding agent. I may try welding but aluminum is a pita. Replacing it will just give me better piece of mind.

Comment

Use JB Weld but build a good bridge around it. Let it cure for a couple of days.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X