cleaned carbs, now worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaned carbs, now worse

Before the carb cleaning inside and out, I had an idle issue that my mechanic cant figure out. Anyways point being is that it runs worse now with even more of an idle problem: If around 2000rpm, it will slowly die and with the throttle screw i can turn it a good half to a full turn clockwiseand no response. The idle will continue to gradually decrease to about 1000rpm and a little more twist of screw, it goes about 3000rpm. Having said that, it pops more out of the pipe and from the carbs making them shake each time. I dont know how to even fix this problem when I dont have any needles or jets and other interchangeable parts on the carb. It has a stage III dyno jet in it. Which to me I have no idea what it does or looks like. Im thinking im SOL at this point cuz i cant afford to have anyone come and look at. Sorry for the vent and am thinking about selling at this point. Not sure what to do.

How did you clean the carbs? By completely disassembling them?

For clarifications sake, did you remove the air mixture screws also?

It looks as though you have Pods & a Dyno Jet kit installed as well, yes?

I've read here that idle issues are usually the cause of air leaks - did you also change the intake boot o-rings?

If you truly are considering selling, I'm in CT & would be interested.

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Yeah, took them all apart berry dipped them and cleaned with carb cleaner. Yup, stage III and K&N pods. Both the intake boots and o-rings are fine. Boots are pliable and the o-rings have no cracks or tears and in new condition.

Comment

Replace the boot "O" rings. You have a lean condition.

Comment

Your prolly right. One of my "L" intake boots has more of a curve than all three. I noticed it today when I put the carbs snug into place. The intake boots are all clean from grease and gas before I fit them in, making the carbs a nice fit when inserted. It is the 1st boot on left when i put the carbs in, all were snug except the first boot where i had to really push the carb into the boot while tightening the clamp. There was no play on the other boots when i was pushing the carb in the 1st boot. Just really took a good amount of force to have that ring around the carb fit into the boot to make it nice n snug with the other 3 carbs. Also my diaphragm may need to be replaced because just around a couple of edges and the tab, have a very slight tear/rip. It doesnt go past the edge to the diapragm itself, just a tiny bit here and there around the edge. I think another one is starting to have a tiny tear/rip. Could those very tiny rip/tears just on the edge have a huge affect? And I guess new o-rings, and a "L" intake boot should do it?

Comment

To make a good job of it and do it once and for all I would replace all four intake boots (they get hard and brittle when old), now boot "O" rings where they mate to the cylinder head and definitely new diaphragms as the slides will rise at different rates if there are any leaks around there. The diaphragms are not cheap (I believe around $100 each). Look for some good ones on EBAY or a GS Resources member might have some spares.

I bought a set of four on EBAY for $50, curious thing is though that they were not metal, the slides were black I think maybe off a gsx750, but 32mm so still fit my carbs OK.

Comment

I know the intake boots and o-rings get brittle when old, but i replaced them both last year ya know? It's really that one intake boot, but I can see about the diaphragms though. Just so friggin expensive. I know, I know.

Comment

Working...
              X