need help little black box??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help little black box??????

Okay after screwing up the relay mod I shorted something out.
    After testing and buying several new parts its still not working.
    I have thru testing and replacing parts figured its not the coils or the pick up coils. So this brings me to the little black box that is bolted to the side of the battery case. What is this? The pick up coils plug into it then there is a 4 pin connector going out of it orange/white stripe, white, black/white stripe, black/yellow stripe.
    Need some help on identifying this part.
    The bike is a 1981 GS750
    The model number on the part is 32900-45110 and it says Nippondenso on it.
    it also has what appears to be another model/serial number on it 131100-1901 then 12V.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That box is called an ignitor and it triggers the coils in response to a signal from the crank pickup coils. Ebay or this site's parts for sale is your best option for finding one since the dealer charges big bucks.

I suspect you popped a fuse or damaged a switch doing the relay mod. Do you have 12 volts going into the ignitor and is it grounded properly?
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

There is nothing coming out of the ignitor, however I do have voltage at the coils.
      This is where I get confused. Let me see if I can explain this.
      1. voltage at both coils
      2. voltage leaving both coils
      3. I have spark on 1 and 4 spark plugs
      4. no spark on 2 and 3 spark plugs
      5. if I completely disconnect the ignitor I still have voltage at the coils.
      6. I have two sets of coils. swapped them back and forth between the left and right.
      Left coil fires, right coil does not. (no matter which coil I use)
      Am I missing something here? Just an FYI the bike ran tops before I tried the MOD so it is definitely something I just did I just cant find it.

Comment

Either the trigger coil on the crankshaft for the 2-3 set is bad or the igniter is toast. You could swap the blue and green wires from the triggers and see if the 2-3 side works or not. The bike will not start this way, but at least you'll know for sure where it is broken.They are like stereo amplifiers, in many ways.

I might be able to repair your igniter, I fixed one for a GSer in Florida a few years ago. I know how they work and can repair that sort of thing. PM me if you want to go that route. This assumes the igniter is bad after testing some more.

Alternatively you could procure another igniter and swap it, but that might be pricey. Those things go for decent change sometimes on ebay. I have spares for my 650G, unfortunately they would not work on your bike.

Ask in parts wanted on this forum, see if someone can loan you one, provided you don't zap it

Comment

I forgot to ask, is this a 16v or 8v bike? I might have a known good igniter for a 16v I parted out 2 years ago.

Let me know.

Comment

Duaneage, yes it is a 16V motor. I have seen several igniters on ebay in the $60 to $70 dollar range. If you think you have a better deal I am all ears. Time is sort of an issue I would like to get this thing going this week even if I have to buy an igniter from ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
              Okay after screwing up the relay mod I shorted something out.
              After testing and buying several new parts its still not working.
              I have thru testing and replacing parts figured its not the coils or the pick up coils. So this brings me to the little black box that is bolted to the side of the battery case. What is this? The pick up coils plug into it then there is a 4 pin connector going out of it orange/white stripe, white, black/white stripe, black/yellow stripe.
              Need some help on identifying this part.
              The bike is a 1981 GS750
              The model number on the part is 32900-45110 and it says Nippondenso on it.
              it also has what appears to be another model/serial number on it 131100-1901 then 12V.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              Just to help you with the testing and proving:
              The black/white wire is the negative 12 V
              The Orange/white is the positive 12 V
              The white wire and the black/yellow wires each go to a coil.

At your coils the two orange/white wires coming from both the
              coils must be connected together to the relay contact 87, this is the positive 12 V to the coils when the ignition is on and relay operated. The ignitor will "power" the coil with a pulse when the pickup reads a signal and give a spark at the plug.

Comment

If your igniter is bad I certainly would pay more than $60 or $70 (I just sold one for $50) because at 70$ you are over halfway to just buying a Dyna S.

Comment

I searched ebay for the part number on my box and some chopper guy had it for 9.99$ and didn't know what the heck it was. worked like a charm!!

Comment

Working...
                  X