Doing the Happy Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing the Happy Dance

I had to share the good news with somebody and who else but a bunch of Guys who have been there.
    I just finished putting in my new Dyna 2000, new coils and relay power for the coils and hit the starter button after I set the timing and there was life.
    The tank isnt on yet but there was enough gas in the float bowls so with full choke it fired.
    It was running when I got it but after I fixed the stator which had 1 wire shorted to ground between the cover and engine (Po) then replaced the RR the spark went away. I think the old igniter couldn't take the new voltage as everything checked out. I didn't want to go the used route as I'm keeping this bike for the long haul so I went for all new electronics. Its a 82 GS1100gk
    by the way, all dressed up. I dont think I'll get a ride in to day I have a lot of stuff to put back on. Putting in an amp meter so I can monitor the charging system and part of that is making up a ground and + 12 buss to keep things neat.
    I'll have to my post all the things I had to fix from the Po's. Good thing I'm between jobs as we say In the carpenters Union because I've spent the last 2 weeks working on this bike. I think my wife wished I'd work more on the honey do list...
    Tomorrow riding for sure hope to see some of you on the road..
    Paul

Congrats!! I know the feeling

Comment

Way to go Paul. Oh, you got aq cool name too (Paul)

Comment

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
        Putting in an amp meter so I can monitor the charging system ..
        First of all, congrats on the running bike.

Now I just have to ask, is it an actual amp meter that you are installing? Where are you installing the sensor? I ask because there are three possible locations, and they will give you different results. Be aware that the output for the r/r does not connect directly to the battery. It connects to a line that runs between the battery and the main fuse.
        1) Between the output of the r/r and the connection at the above-mentioned wire. Any time the bike is running, this will show a + on the meter. Unless you have a blown diode in the r/r, you will never show a - on the meter. This will only verify that your charging system is putting out, but you won't know if it's enough, because you don't know which way the output is going.
        2) Between the above-mentioned connection and the main fuse. This will also only read on one side of the meter's scale as there is nothing downstream that will force any current back in the other direction.
        3) Between the above-mentioned connection and the battery. This will tell you whether the battery is being charged or not, and is probably the most accurate location.

Personally, I think a better indication is a volt meter. Besides the fact that it is MUCH easier to install, it also gives you a better indication of your overall system status. Think of a similar situation with your fuel system. The volt meter is like your gas gauge. The amp meter is like a gallons per hour gauge. All this is usefull information, but would you rather know that you have 1/4 tank left or that you are using 2 gallons per hour? By the way, you will show that 2 gallons per hour right up to the time you suck the last drop out of the tank. It would have been nice to know that you only had that 1/4 tank to start with. A volt meter will show your 14+ volts while riding and about 13 or so at idle. If it doesn't, you can see on the meter just how much is left to judge whether you have any time left to get where you are going.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
          The reason I'm putting an amp meter in is because I had 1 on hand. And since I was doing a lot of new wiring it was no big deal to install. I mounted the meter in my fairing and ran 2 #10 wires to it with all the power leads going to 1 side of the meter and the battery on the other side. Now I can tell if the battery is being charged or discharged instead of knowing just what voltage the RR is putting out.
          I just wanted a visual indication of the charging system so if the battery is being discharged I'd know it before it went flat.
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X