Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start button works with key "off"

Hi guys
    I am at the end of my rebuild and trying to start the little beauty (82 GS 1100 GLZ). I think I am good to go but I am being vexed by a wiring problem; the start button works with the ignition key in the "off" position (it also works in the normal "on" position). The kill switch works fine. I have wearied myself trying to trace the problem with no success. Can anyone please advise? Thanks!

Actually, you are in a GOOD place because someone before you has fixed a notorious starter clutch issue for you before you ever had to do it yourself! What happens with the GS 1100s is that when you try to start them with the ignition live, sometimes they will "kick back" against the starter clutch & shear it's 3 bolts. A FUN pain in the butt to fix & it ALWAYS happens at the wrong time! With us that race them & modify our street motors we wire them just like yours already is. Point being, you hit the starter button, get the motor spinning, & THEN turn on the key & it fires right up without the kick back! If it hasn't been done, to make this work, you need to disable the clutch safety so you don't need to pull in the clutch to start it. Just make sure you are always in Neutral before you go to start it. If you want to call to talk about this more in depth my # is 714-356-7845. Ray.

Comment

Thanks for the help

Ray,
      You are a genius! Thanks for saving me a ton of time and stress!
      sp

Comment

Any time Steve! Glad to help! Ray.

Comment

Working...
        X