Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sidestand switch

Hello,
    The wires on my sidestand switch have corroded off. Suzuki has new ones but they are about $50. What if I were to seal off the end of the wires and forget about it? Also is seems I should have power at one of the wires with the key on, but I don't. If this won't cause any problems I guess I will just leave it alone. Any ideas?

The bike will operate fine without the switch. Just make SURE you always put your kickstand up! A quick left with it down can throw you on the pavement before you know it! Ray.

Comment

+1 and there is no power there. It's only a switch to complete the starter circuit. Stand down the switch is closed and completes a circuit to allow the starter to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
        +1 and there is no power there. It's only a switch to complete the starter circuit. Stand down the switch is closed and completes a circuit to allow the starter to work.
        I agree that there is no power there, but it is NOT connected to the starter circuit on the GS bikes. The only connection is to the light on the gauge panel.

On my GoldWing, it's a completely different story. Not only is it connected to the starter circuit, but the ignition circuit, too.
        If I try to start the engine in any gear position excep neutral, I have to pull the clutch.
        If I put the stand down in any gear position except neutral, the engine dies.

On the GS, the only thing the sidestand does is turn the light ON or OFF. If the switch is removed, the light stays OFF and the bike continues to run as normal.
        I know this because I searched for two years to get a switch for my wife's bike so that she could enjoy the feature of the light.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This side stand switch on my bike it not working. Got it that way, but I wish it was. You would think after the first time you would learn. Not me it took three. I was lucky too no car around and I wasn't going that fast. I had the time and the space to straighten up, put it up, then turn again. And it's loud too. I am a new rider but I don't like telling everyone by leaving my stand down. And they do look at you too for those that are around.

Comment

Hmm...I stand corrected, thanks.
            I hate sidestand switches of ANY kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
              I hate sidestand switches of ANY kind.
              Actually, if they are applied with some logic and forethought, they aren't all that bad.

The switch on my Wing might seem to be too much for some, but it's actually quite nice. If the bike is in neutral, there is no need to pull the clutch. If the bike is in gear, you will want to pull the clutch anyway, so this merely forces you to do it. Also, if the stand is down and you put the bike into gear, it kills the engine to guarantee that you will not ride off with the stand down.

As long as you understand how it works, that's half the battle.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

flatout has em for 20 bucks, i have one that just has one spot worn through on the wires at the main bend to go up (electrical tape or some heat shrink tube should take care of it) for the cost of shipping.

nick

Comment

Frankly, I think it's better to train your mind to always look down at the sidestand when starting off. I've had enough close calls that it is automatic by now.

Comment

On my Guzzi the engine will not run with the sidestand down...therefore you can't warm the engine while donning gear, etc. unless it is on the c-stand and the sidestand is up.
                    Honda has had plenty recalls on sidestand switches on ST1100s and GL 1500s causing the engine to quit while driving...not a safe siuation. Usualy while cornering. Wait...was it sidestand switches or bank angle sensors or both?
                    I'm getting old and stupid...wait...what has old have to do with it?
                    Dang gummint, I don't need anyone to tell me the sidestnd is down!

Comment

Working...
                    X