'85 GS550L Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS550L Idle

I just baught my first motorcycle, a 1985 GS550L. I am working out the issues with it before I start riding it.
    One of the problems is the idle. I idles very low and dies occasionally. The guy I bought it off of said he bought a set of carbs off of e-bay and had someone install them. He said that the guy just bolted them up and the bike started. Aparently no adjustments were made.
    I found a manual online for this bike at http://search.ebscohost.com/. The Clymer manual I ordered is in the mail.
    I was not able to find the correct idle RPM for my bike in this manual. The idle speed is given up to model year 1984 but I could not find it for 1985.

What is the correct idle speed for a 1985 GS550L?

This is my forst post on the forum. It appears to be a very good forum.

Thanks in advance,

James

Wow.... not TOTALLY sure, but in general for these engines it's in the 1200 range. Much lower and oil pressure isn't high enough.

Comment

For the '83 - '84 models the manual gives 900 - 1,100 rpm.
      If I don't find anything different I will use the 1,100 rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebb6906 View Post
        For the '83 - '84 models the manual gives 900 - 1,100 rpm.
        If I don't find anything different I will use the 1,100 rpm.
        Pretty sure that's it. I don't trust 900. I'd say 1000 is minimum, for the stated oil pressure reasons. It won't hold stead on that (it's bounce) unless your carbs are synched and all your air leaks resolved.

Comment

Working...
        X