what exactly is behind this cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what exactly is behind this cover?

my bike must have been dropped, and the left side of the crankcase is all scraped up, with the emblem gone. I found this replacement, attachment below.

what's behind it? will it be difficult to replace, or what will be involved? will i need a new gasket too? do i need to drain the oil first?

sorry for such a newbie question.

Behind the larger portion of that cover you will find your stator windings, which are part of your charging system. Behind the smaller portion on the right you will find gears connected to the starter motor.

Not that hard to change, but you will either need to drain the oil or put the left side of the centerstand up on a 2x4 to tilt the bike to the right. Yes, you will need a new gasket, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks steve. i'll wait til the next oil change to tackle this.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM. Reason: left something out

Comment

Behind The Stator Cover

Hi Mr. boathead,

If you're worried about oil behind that cover, there's actually very little, maybe a couple of teaspoons. You can see what's behind that cover by visiting my little BikeCliff website and taking a gander at the "Stator Replacement" guide.

Your new cover looks terrific. Congratulations on a good find.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

A new gasket is recommended, but I have successfully used contributions from Post's or Kelloggs in lieu of the originals.....Just cut carefully and apply pressure evenly when reassembling.

This works because there is almost no pressure inside the case.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. boathead,

If you're worried about oil behind that cover, there's actually very little, maybe a couple of teaspoons. ......

BassCliff
            ummmm, don't know if i agree with this. when I changed the stator a few years ago i got looked like a whole bunch more than a couple of teaspoons. If what I experienced was that small of an amount, it sure made a heck of a mess. Either way, keep the drain pan handy.

Comment

yeah, isn't the stator supposed to be fully bathed in oil to keep it cooler? no offense, Bassclif, just throwing it out there in case you've got a blocked passage or some such?

someone more knowledgable than I will have to answer the question tho, as I have never removed mine... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dexx View Post
                ummmm, don't know if i agree with this. when I changed the stator a few years ago i got looked like a whole bunch more than a couple of teaspoons. If what I experienced was that small of an amount, it sure made a heck of a mess. Either way, keep the drain pan handy.
                Yes, definitely keep your drain pan handy. Mr. Dexx, you've got me thinking. I changed my stator a few months ago (with the bike on the center stand) and I don't remember draining the oil first, but perhaps I did. Maybe the oil that's left in there after draining is more like a few tablespoons than a couple of teaspoons. I'm speaking of my 850GT. I hope I don't have to pull the stator cover again any time soon. Did I say to drain the oil first in my little stator replacement guide? I'll have to read that again.

EDIT: OK, I just read my stator replacement guide. I did say to drain the oil first. Oops. Sorry gang.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

If you're worried about oil behind that cover, there's actually very little, maybe a couple of teaspoons.
                  Originally posted by Dexx View Post
                  Originally posted by snowbeard View Post
                  yeah, isn't the stator supposed to be fully bathed in oil to keep it cooler? ... someone more knowledgable than I will have to answer the question tho, as I have never removed mine... yet.
                  Yes, definitely keep your drain pan handy. Mr. Dexx, you've got me thinking. I changed my stator a few months ago (with the bike on the center stand) and I don't remember draining the oil first, but perhaps I did. ... OK, I just read my stator replacement guide. I did say to drain the oil first. Oops.
                  You might want to keep a cotton ball or two handy to catch any spare drips, but there is no need to drain the oil if you simply put a 2x4 under the left side of the centerstand. I just did this to change the stator on my son's 850 with no problem.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You haven't bothered to reveal which sort of motorcycle you have, but if it's a GS850, you can indeed remove the stator cover with the bike on the centerstand and without draining the oil, and only a small amount of oil will come out -- you'll need maybe a couple of paper shop towels to deal with a few drips. No dangerous chicanery with boards under the centerstand and such is required.

I know because I've done this while the engine was still hot. You do NOT need to tilt the bike to the right or drain the oil. Just put it on the centerstand and proceed with a couple of paper shop towels stuffed between the engine and the frame.

Oil travels through the stator area and helps cool it, but it doesn't run in a pool of oil (that would cause a MASSIVE amount of drag). When you stop the engine, the oil runs back into the cases.

HOWEVER: If you're working on something else, and not an 850G/GL, 1000G/GL or an 1100G/GL, then I have no idea. Probably a couple of gallons of flaming-hot oil will squirt out and fry your eyeballs, so be careful and don't say we didn't warn you.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

it's a 650G.

i truly appreciate all the responses. i am learning so much.

it is not the biggest deal for me to wait until i change the oil, just to be safe. although i admit the bike will look fresh with that cover on.

it is truly amazing to me what a few cheap items can do to spruce up a bike. after that cover, all i need is a seat cover. and some carb work.

Comment

Working...
                      X