When soaking carbs do you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When soaking carbs do you...

do you leave them all together or strip them down?

Have you not read the carb cleaning series in the Garage section of the home page?
    Both of the papers dedicated to cleaning the carbs will walk you through the process quite nicely.
    There is one paper for the VM carbs ('79 and older bikes) and another paper for the BS carbs ('80 and newer bikes).

Unless you have some kind of arrangement that the rest of us do not have, you have to break them down just to get the body to fit into the one gallon-size can. You have to remove everything that is not metallic, which includes the diaphragm and all the o-rings that around the jets. Nobody here has ever menitoned taking the throttle shafts out, in spite of the seals that are around the shaft.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On the BS carbs Do not take the throdle shafts apart.. It is best to dissasemble the carb rack so as to replace ALL of the O rings
      Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

To dip them they need to be COMPLETELY disassembled & the bodies all separated. Make sure the mixture screws are removed along with the o rings, washers & springs that are in each mixture screw hole also. Ray.

Comment

Working...
        X