Fusing for relay mod ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusing for relay mod ?

Any ideas on what size fuse I should put in the 12+ line of the coil mod ? I have a dedicated line for just the coils and my Dyna 2000 module.
    Earlier today I happened to have a 30 in the line and it blew but I suspect something grounded out after I put the tank on. Althought I didn't find a short I tapped everything up that might. Tonight I was out for a ride after 30 miles
    I stopped for coffee and was on my way home when I rolled up on a light in second as it turned green I nailed the throttle and the fuse blew again this time a 5 amp. So it was fine for 30 miles them just blew, a neighbor stopped to help and the guy who lived in the house I stopped in front of found me a fuse. I put in it fired right up and I drove home no problem. So I'm wondering was the 5 to small any thoughts out there in GS land?
    But before the mishap what a ride... I can't imagine what it will be like after I replace the boots and o-rings and clean and sync the carbs and adjust the valves. I can give it throttle in any gear and it takes off and I better be holding on...
    Thanks in advance for any comments or thoughts. I couldn't have gotten the bike up and running without this site and the great bunch of folks who are willing to help people out.
    Paul

10 amp should be sufficient but 15amp to be safe. If you're blowing a 30amp fuse, you've got a bad connection that's shorting out somewhere and you need to track that down asap or you're going to be frying expensive parts soon. How's your charging circuit?

Comment

Consider, if you will, what the Suzuki engineers installed as stock equipment.

The MAIN fuse was 15 amps,
      the LIGHTS fuse was 10 amps,
      the SIGNALS fuse was 10 amps,
      the IGNITION fuse was 10 amps.

Examination of the wires downstream of these fuses suggests you don't want to go any bigger than that.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
        10 amp should be sufficient but 15amp to be safe. If you're blowing a 30amp fuse, you've got a bad connection that's shorting out somewhere and you need to track that down asap or you're going to be frying expensive parts soon. How's your charging circuit?

When I blew the 30 it was after I put my tank back on, the new coils were a tight fit so I think I may have shorted something. I removed the tank and taped all exposed connectors. If it happens again Ill check for a short to ground. I have a 10 in her now Ill see what happens tomorrow.
        My charging is working fine I get a little under 15 volts around 5000 rpm.
        Thanks for your reply.
        Paul

Comment

I used a 10 amp fuse.

Comment

I used a 15 cause it's the stock main on my bike.

Comment

i'm using a 15.. i also shorted mine.. tracked it down, was a short.

Comment

Working...
              X