carbs and pilots/air screws 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs and pilots/air screws 850

1.another new question since this is first time rebuilding a carb of any type I have another question which maybe is due to lack of experience. the bike is 82 gs850 and read sticky on carbs and specs that have all the part #'s and such, what my question is some of the carbs say 2 1/2 turn for this pilot screw and that air screw. That is what I dont understand do I need to do any of backing out any of the screw/jets on these carbs or are they all just lightly seated?

I know I need to check float height but and I will try to do this bench sync thing, anything else? Thanks I really appreciate all help you/ site has given me.

2. do you need to replace fuel bowl drain plug washer? Do you need to replace rubber pilot jet plug?

3. I took idle adjuster thing off the one carb because it had a plastic holder on it, that should not be a problem should it? And all other throttle mechanisms left on carb, I think that is how they should be dipped.

Thanks again it has been fun so far.

It is the idle mixture screw that needs to be screwed in until it is lightly seated and then backed out 2 1/2 turns. This screw is between the carb main body and the cylinder head under an aluminium round cover with a small hole in it. If you have not removed the cover yet, drill out the small hole with a drill to enable a screw to be inserted in the new hole and then pull the plug out via the screw. Do not drill too deep as you do not want to damage the screw underneath.

Comment

The pilot air jet that is screwed into the rear (air intake) of the carb on the left hand side with a slot for a screwdriver can be removed before you soak (dip) the carb. When replacing the pilot air jet it should be firmly seated in it's thread. Also have you separated the carbs from each other for dipping and removed all the parts you possibly can. Main jet, pilot jet, emulsion tube, throttle slide, needle, needle and seat for fuel inlet, etc.

Comment

Replace the drain plug washer, replace the pilot jet rubber plugs (not expensive) and all other "O" rings in carbs after they have been dipped. Follow the carb rebuilding article for CV carbs on the GS Resources website and you cant go wrong if you follow the pictures in sequence. Don't forget to drive the emulsion tube out with a wooden dowel. Remove all the parts you can off the carb bodies except the throttle plates and spindles, leave these in place.

Comment

idle mixture screw

Thanks for reply I really appreciate it. Yes I have them all ripped apart except for the throttle mechanism. All jets and screws out. went ok except broken post. Sorry if I am still sounding stupid but is idle mixture screw the same as the CV steps refer to as Air Screw?? If not then where??

Comment

Yes that is the same screw except that it actually controls fuel and not air, so was misnamed on the instructions. Cheers. Sounds like you are going OK.

Comment

Hey, Buckeyemike,

You still in the Buckeye, or are you lucky enough to be from the Buckeye?
              Cause if you are still in the Buckeye, you might be dangerously close enough for a hands-on session, but there is no location information in your profile (hint, hint).
              Where 'bouts are ya?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X