gs450 running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 running rich

So I'm more than confused. I got my wife's gs450 up and running just fine, ride from Chicago to Cleveland got back, let the bike sit for a few weeks because she was too busy to ride and I have an 1100 that i'm never too busy to ride. We went to go on a trip a few weeks ago and i told her i wanted to blow her bike out before we went to make sure everything was still fine, and it wasn't.
    Once the bike got warm it died and nothing in the world would make it start again. I had to just sit and wait until it cooled down a bit and then I headed home. I figured it was a rich fuel problem because of it running fine cool and being a brick when hot. I checked the plugs and they were covered in suit. I pulled the carbs looking for a stuck needle valve or anything that would just have it keep dumping fuel into it and nothing.
    Why would it run just fine for a almost 1000 mile trip, then not work for crap a few weeks later.
    Oh, I did dump the fuel out, put it in the mower, and got fresh fuel in case it had gone bad.

So i can add a bit more, 2 gallons of fresh gas has moved itself to my oil now. I'm no bikeologist but that isn't a good sign. I needed a new petcock anyway I guess. Would a bad petcock make the bike run too rich? That doesn't make sense to me but if it's not getting proper flow it's like riding it on prime. Plus, the gas in the oil thing can't help out a whole lot.

Comment

Hi Mr. eliotsajerkface,

Besides the bad petcock, your symptoms could mean that you now have a stuck float valve or maladjusted floats in one of the carbs.

Please don't run the bike with gas in the oil. Be sure to change the oil first. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I wouldn't run it with gas in the oil, I just noticed it when I went out to put on her new brake pedal. I'm ordering a new petcock now and will drain the oil/gas tomorrow.
        As far as the floats, they are set to factory settings and I even have new needles and seats. So I'm doubting that but I guess with 25 year old bikes, anything can happen.

Comment

Hi Mr. eliotsajerkface,

Very good. I was unaware of your recent carb work. Let's hope the new petcock gets your wife back on the road again. All the best to you and yours.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X