No juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No juice

This is a question for my friends Yamaha. I know this may be blasphemy but I have to ask. On our last ride his bike wouldn't start. He has plenty of juice to the horn, break lights, turn signals, but... the head light won't come on and there is nothing when you hit the start button. The neutral light does come on as well. Any ideas. He thinks that since I'm a glutton for punishment that I am mechanic but.... and electrical is the biggest gap in my knowledge.

Check your fuses.

Comment

Some bikes will not turn over with the bike in gear. With a neutral light then there is a gear position switch which may have a cut off on. (You didn't say what Yami!)

The lack of headlight could be fuses but also ignition switch or even a blown bulb.

Suzuki mad

Comment

It's a 1981 Yamaha XJ650. Bulb is good as is all fuses. I forgot to mention that the bike pop starts no problem. Then the headlight comes on and the bike runs great. I took apart the ignitio control switch last night and cleaned it but that didn't do anything. Still puzzled.

Comment

Maybe a clutch inter lock switch?

Comment

I'll check that out and get back to you.

Comment

Maybe just a weak battery. It is possible that the battery will be able to power lights, horn, etc, but not have the capacity to start the bike. "Pop" starting does not impose the load of the starter, so it will handle the ignition just fine.

Put a volt meter on the battery. With the key OFF, it should read 12.6 volts or more. Turn the key ON, the voltage will drop a bit, but should not go below 12.0. Watch the voltage while trying to start the bike. If it goes below 10.5 volts, you need a new battery.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X